System Link Query

MILLSY5

Hello
I am going to buy a laptop computer as i need to travel away from home and i was hoping that when i get back i might be able to link it to my existing desktop computer via system link. Haing read the SX manual it appears that i need to run a digital cable from one computer to the other and back again.
Could someone tell me if this is absolutely necessary as my sound card in the desktop only has one set of ADAT ins and outs and these would therefore be used up in their entirety. Is it not possible to run an optical cable from the out on the laptop to the in on the desktop and then have th out from the desktop going to my external mixer???

This way i could run VSTi's on the laptop and the audio output could be sent to the mixer in cubase sx on the desktop and then to the external mixer.

Please help as i am very short of cash and do not wish to waste any.

Thank You

Keith

From what I understand, you can send the audio from the laptap to the desktop via the adat through output busses. Then assign those to inputs on the desktop. You could even submix on the laptop and send over less tracks to simplify things.

Back