System Crashes!!

Starcat

Hi folks, hope you can help me out here. I have recently set up my Dell Inspiron 8200 laptop with N-track (24/96 version), and have an M-Audio Audiophile USB interface. I plug into a Behringer UB 1202 mixer and from there to the soundcard. I'm running Win XP Home Edition w/service pack 1.

My problem? Everytime I set the M-Audio software to 24-bit, the system crashes. I get the dreaded blue screen of death with the message "Driver IRQL Not Less or Equal". Doesn't happen when the M-Audio is set to 16-bit. According to microsoft, there is a very long set of steps to go through to find out what the problem is, which I can do, but based on past experience with them, I'm not hopeful. Nothing on the M-Audio, Dell or N-Track sites about this. I've written M-Audio but have not received a response yet.

Anyone else out there have any experience with this kind of error? Thanks for whatever help you can provide.

what other usb devices do you have connected, are you running the interface through a usb hub?

try disconnecting everything else, and then restarting with it already in 24bit mode (if that's possible)

we'll go from there.

Rich
Radium Reactor

Hey thanks for the reply, jazzrich! The only other peripheral I have connected is a mouse, which I can disconnect and use the pad/stick for navigation. Not sure if I can start the Audiophile in 24-bit mode, but I will check it out and give you an update. Thanks.

Edit - no, I don't use a USB hub. Good thought, though.

Last edited:
Just a quick update - I received a reply from M-Audio tech support, which instructed me to go into Recovery mode and disable the MUP (multiple uniform resource locator provider). No explanation was provided as to why this would be the source of the problem. I think this is bogus so haven't tried it yet - based on my search at microsoft support, MUP is not used in XP, only Win 2000 and NT. (Plus, I don't think XP has a Recovery mode like 2000 did. At any rate, this hardly seems likely to be causing a problem. Oh well, back to the drawing board.

Back