Synths - Where do I start?

SuperJunior

Hello,

I just started home recording (well, I'm about too) and I'm after a synth. Not really sure what I'm looking for though... can anyone help? My guitar teacher suggested I go for a sound module and a controller keyboard, any pros + cons with this setup? And any recommendations for particular models? I'm not the richest of people (still in full-time education) so don't recommend the highest end stuff you can find.

Thanks a lot!
Joe

OK,
Type of music: Well, I'll probably be using this in pop and hip hop stuff, as well as electronic stuff. Then later I'd probably want to use it for stuff like Power Metal when I find a fast enough player.

Keys: What are the advantages of having say, 81 rather than 66 (apart from theres more)? Probably 66 I would imagine.

Budget: As low as I can go but still get quality (like thats gonna happen). Just recommend the budget (low price) models that are still useable in the studio.

Thanks a lot!
Joe

Yamaha Home Keyboard?

I don't know if these are sitting around any professional studios, but they sound pretty good to me...I have tried to help a friend find a keyboard before and I came up with some minimal requirements (from my veiwpoint, anyway) for an acceptable keyboard. Beside being fairly modern and sounding good, I think a keyboard should at least have "touch response" that is, when you strike the keys softly you get a corresponding soft sound, when you strike the keys hard you get a hard sound (like you would on a real piano). Polyphony should be at least 24 (probably 32), Polyphony is the total number of notes that can be sounded at one time (a three note chord would use up 3 notes of polyphony)...although some entry level keyboards have 12, if you get into MIDI and sequencing (and layering sounds) you will need the extra polyphony. There are many new and used Casio and Yamaha keyboards with these features that can be had for under $200 (on ebay for instance). The Casios that I have heard are all right, but I prefer the sound of Yamahas...I would check anything by Yamaha with touch response and 32 note (or voice) polyphony made within the last 4 years. I am looking in a Musician Friends catalog right now (musiciansfriends.com) at a Yamaha PSR292 for $199 (you would also probably want the "survival kit" for $30, that includes a power adapter)...If money is really tight you might find a similar model (a few year old) on ebay for $100-$120. If at all possible, of course, you want to listen to a keyboard before you buy it. You might find these Yamah Home (or PSR) type keyboards in some music stores or even Walmart, or you might ask around and find one you could try out and get an idea how these keyboards sound (although there are many models many seem to have the same "sound engine" or sound source)

As far as keys: I think 61 (keys) is probably the most popular keyboard, even in the professional world (look through a catalog or music store website)...If you need to play higher or lower notes you can usually move the octaves up or down on a 61 key keyboard to accomodate this...Maybe if a person is a true pianist and uses the breadth of 88 keys in one song, maybe then they would really crave the extra keys...

Yeah, Breast...I mean "Best Buy" has both YAMAHA and Casio you could try them both out side by side.

SuperJunior said:
Budget: As low as I can go but still get quality (like thats gonna happen). Just recommend the budget (low price) models that are still useable in the studio.

Again, whats your budget? Low price doesn't mean squat. $500? $1000? $2000?

Making some assumptions here. You haven't made any investments yet, but plan on using a computer with reasonable horsepower for recording and plan on using a software with DXi and/or VSTi capability. Recording is your only planned use for the keyboard/module.

I would get something like this:

http://www.emu.com/products/product.asp?maincategory=631&category=631&product=2212 (Emulator X)

and this (well, a few more keys wouldn't hurt):

http://www.m-audio.com/index.php?do=products.main&ID=894dee116b69d772e036222f8441950c (Evolution MK-461C )

and check out the free softsynths here if I needed more "synthy" options:

http://www.kvr-vst.com

But that's me, I'm not sure about you...
:)

hello joe!

well, i currently have 2 synths in my mini studio and I love them both so much i could marry them (har har). but seriously, if you are look for an all-in-one budget synth that has good sounds for _____ style, look into a yamaha cs1x. VERY affordable, great sounds for electronic music (128 presets, 128 user and 128 "realistic" instrument samples like strings, guitar, percus, bass, piano, organ etc). you can probably get one relatively cheap off of ebay, around 300-500 i assume. if you spend anything below that on a synth you wont be getting anything that great. they were made back in 98-99 i believe. it was my first synth and i still use it 'til this very day! i also recently picked up a microKORG which i absolutely LOVE, it's more geared towards electronic/techno music thou but the presets are awesome, it has great user programs, a very easy and programmable apreggio and even a built in vocoder! i got mine for $350 new, i've seen them as low as 260 used around here. if you have any more questions regarding synths, feel free to PM me.

-dave- :cool:

Back