synths advices needed

brahma jay

need help with picking synth etc!!!
hi there,
thinking of getting some stuff for my home studio. never had my own equipment, but used to work at a radio station, so have an idea about things.

wanna get synths (choises):
1 JUPITER-80
2 JUNO-Gi Mobile Synthesizer
3 and Native Instruments Maschine

it looks like jupiter is 3000 $, which is kinda too much, but is it worth the money? Could Juno be a decent and effective substitute to it? other options?
what things do i need to connect it and record to my Mac? midi controller, audio interface? what plugins are best and what programs are working with synths? are ableton live, pro tools or logic work with any synthesizers?

really like the Maschine and wanna get it anyways.
please help me with it. and let me know if there is something better than my choices. my budget is 2000+ $.
sorry for the messy post. :-)

Have you considered software synths with a cheaper hardware controller, or do you need/prefer a hardware synth?

Any suggestions?

I don't use synths, although I have recently wanted to and am starting to look at how to learn how they work.

However, I do have NI Komplete Ultimate, which includes a few synths (Massive, AbSynth, Reaktor (which is a synth builder, as far as I understand it, so is much more than just a synth), Razor, Retro Machines (rompler), FM8, Reaktor Spark and Reaktor Prism (Reaktor based synths)) - plus you get Kontakt (another rompler) with all the sample packs, including all the drums and keys, and Guitar Rig, etc, etc.

I think I paid around £750 for Komplete and about £100 on my 61 key controller (MAudio something or other). So, you can get a lot more for your money in the software domain, but, some people prefer to work with hardware synths (perhaps for live work) and I have read there can be a difference in quality (I don't know how true that is).

Other big name software synths I have tried demos of include Dune and SyLenth.

All of these sound good, but I don't understand how they work and have just tried the presets.

Last edited:
id prefer a hardware synth, just because i didnt play for a while. this way im gonna kill two birds with one stone, practice and create.
its gonna be harder with software - it will mess my brains. lol

The first TI is also an option - buy used! I got mine (I have desktop version) for 1000€ few years ago, I belive that prices are dropped since.

is Access Virus TI2 better than Jupiter 80? I just wanna buy a good synthesizer for good. From what i understand there is not any sense in buying synth under 1000$. Im gonna use it for electronic music, but not into cheap amateurish sound. sound like Moby, Thievery Corporation or even Lana del Rey.

heard earlier about axiom. are they good?

is Access Virus TI2 better than Jupiter 80? I just wanna buy a good synthesizer for good. From what i understand there is not any sense in buying synth under 1000$. Im gonna use it for electronic music, but not into cheap amateurish sound. sound like Moby, Thievery Corporation or even Lana del Rey.

heard earlier about axiom. are they good?
Axiom? Like M-audio Axiom?
It's just a keyboard controller not a synth.

About Jupiter vs Virus:
You won't get any good real instrument sounds (strings, brass, ...) from Virus. There are some, but not very good. Keep in mind this is a real synthesizer not sampler.
On the other hand you will get some more mainstream synth sounds from Jupiter, but if you want more than just typical supersaw, 303 and sync lead sound and want to be able to change all parameters, then it's Virus all the way.
Go listen every sound sample on Youtube you can find.

Axiom? Like M-audio Axiom?
It's just a keyboard controller not a synth.

About Jupiter vs Virus:
You won't get any good real instrument sounds (strings, brass, ...) from Virus. There are some, but not very good. Keep in mind this is a real synthesizer not sampler.
On the other hand you will get some more mainstream synth sounds from Jupiter, but if you want more than just typical supersaw, 303 and sync lead sound and want to be able to change all parameters, then it's Virus all the way.
Go listen every sound sample on Youtube you can find.

i was thinking to get a Native Instrument Maschine as a sampler. checked info, videos etc, it looks like its pretty good for beats.
But as for synthesizer i wanna get something that will give me instruments (mainly piano) as close to real as possible. i deff think its better for composing plus you can use it in performances.

was looking for other synths but couldnt find anything more impressive than Jupiter 80. its expensive as hell..

But as for synthesizer i wanna get something that will give me instruments (mainly piano) as close to real as possible. i deff think its better for composing plus you can use it in performances.
Good piano sounds are hard to find, I'd suggest you to take a look at plugin pianos (Alicias keys, Ivory, Vienna Imperial...)

Back