Synth tips: Kraftwerk - The Robots Sine Intro on Ableton Live

I disagree - inventing is a happy accident - who knows the random events by the synth greats that just popped out. Trying reproduce that sound on a different synth, or even the same synth is horribly complex and rarely 100%.

I did a track in the 70s that was on a korg polysix - I sold it, and last year tried to recreate what I had 40 odd years before and failed miserably. Same with another synth track. I have much better tools now but just can't get that close. Close enough, maybe?

I disagree - inventing is a happy accident - .....
Accident ?
sorry but not the case of the Kraftwerk ,
as they know so well what they do ,
and how to program a synth to get what required ,

I did a track in the 70s that was on a korg polysix - I sold it, and last year tried to recreate what I had 40 odd years before and failed miserably. Same with another synth track. I have much better tools now but just can't get that close. Close enough, maybe?

Polysix at the 70s ?
it arrive on the market in the 1981
cheers

Well I got married in 1980 and I thought we did it before I was married as recording was not as wife friendly? Wiki says 81, but that's a couple of years later than memory says!

I'm also going to stand by my accident theory too. There is a big difference between knowing what a control does, and making a great sound. It takes patience, and experimentation. Kraftwerk were very good with synths, but music is not maths and science - you twiddle the knobs, create the sound - then - you might have written down the position of every knob - the Polysix had a memory car - a white piece of shiny surface card with holes for the knobs and switches, so you could use a whiteboard marker to reset them. You know, of course that if you want a certain change then it's a filter, or a pitch tweak on a tuning knob or the ADSR control parameters, but the best sounds are always happy accidents when you mistakenly press or turn something and it's a brilliant effect.

Well I got married in 1980 and I thought we did it before I was married as recording was not as wife friendly? Wiki says 81, but that's a couple of years later than memory says!

I'm also going to stand by my accident theory too. There is a big difference between knowing what a control does, and making a great sound. It takes patience, and experimentation. Kraftwerk were very good with synths, but music is not maths and science - you twiddle the knobs, create the sound - then - you might have written down the position of every knob - the Polysix had a memory car - a white piece of shiny surface card with holes for the knobs and switches, so you could use a whiteboard marker to reset them. You know, of course that if you want a certain change then it's a filter, or a pitch tweak on a tuning knob or the ADSR control parameters, but the best sounds are always happy accidents when you mistakenly press or turn something and it's a brilliant effect.

I fully agree about a nice sound can come out by an "accident" ,
especially if it happen geeking out for fun ....
that become double fun ....
.... often happens even while trying to create a specific type of sound ,
and fortunately today they can be saved and recalled when necessary as well ,
cheers

In the early 2000's Rick Wakeman was at the college I used to work at - and one of the things he told the students in response to a question, was that when playing live, reaching to a knob on the synth to make the sound more hollow, cutting, buzzy, 'harmonicy' had a 50% success rate. Half the time, turning the knob did ..... absolutely nothing, or worse, something bizarre.

Back