Syncs...drifting out of sync.

fred s.

I am Tracking on tape (Fostex model80), dumping to my DAW (windows 7, Delta 1010LT, JLC pps-2 syc box, MTC)

When I play back the transferred tracks which are chasing the tape machine not only am I getting random pops and clicks (only when sycing), but also they are not perfectly in sync, random parts are drifting, starts off fine, then falls off :confused:

Any ideas...very frustrated with this whole thing, almost want to sell my tape deck for a 16 track and give up this whole sync idea...nothing but problems so far.

Which DAW program are you using? I know in some of the programs, you have to click an option for the DAW to continuously stay in sync with the MTC. If it's only syncing once, instead of continuously, it will drift over time.

As for the pops and clicks, syncing is pretty intensive on the computer. What kind of MIDI interface are you using? If it's USB, that might explain the pops and clicks, as USB is slow. I have a Delta 1010 LT interface and have never had any pops and clicks, but I am using Windows XP, Service Pack 2. The only other suggestion I can make is try recording your digital tracks at 16-bit, 44.1 khz at first and see if you still have the same sync problems. From there, you could then try moving up to 44.8 khz, and so on, to see where the problems may be arising.

Hope that helps!
-MD

Which DAW program are you using? I know in some of the programs, you have to click an option for the DAW to continuously stay in sync with the MTC. If it's only syncing once, instead of continuously, it will drift over time.

As for the pops and clicks, syncing is pretty intensive on the computer. What kind of MIDI interface are you using? If it's USB, that might explain the pops and clicks, as USB is slow. I have a Delta 1010 LT interface and have never had any pops and clicks, but I am using Windows XP, Service Pack 2. The only other suggestion I can make is try recording your digital tracks at 16-bit, 44.1 khz at first and see if you still have the same sync problems. From there, you could then try moving up to 44.8 khz, and so on, to see where the problems may be arising.

Hope that helps!
-MD

Im using the Delta's MIDI in and out. Already recording at 16-bit, 44.1 khz..the software is Reaper.

Back