"Syncing" 464 with Computer

Cwadroon

I have a bunch of old songs I want to take from my 464 and remix them in Cubase, If I have the right tempo set, how can I do this so the tracks will be in time? Is this impossible?

If there not recorded in the right tempo in Cubase, its almost impossible to get them lined up properly. Maybe it's something in Cubase I'm missing. I've tried it in Logic to, but no luck there either. I want to be able to move stuff around as well and keep it in tempo.

Correction, if I record in Cubase, even if it is the right tempo, if they don't all start on the first beat of recording, the whole song goes out of sync. It's impossible to get them right on. I want to record them seperately instead of hooking up four rca to 1/4 inch to my soundcard. Even in that case, it's still hard to get it to start at the first beat of recording. I want to be able to edit and redo in Cubase, if it's not in time, I don't know how to do this.

Huh? Maybe I'm misunderstanding something....

You copy all 4 tracks at the SAME TIME INTO Cubase.... they will be in as much sync as they were on your 464!

Then, once they're in Cubase, add new parts right in Cubase to the tracks you've already bounced over....

No???

Bruce

All four tracks will be in sync with each other, but not with Cubase if you played a click track behind them, the click would be out of sync with the song.

Why do you need a click track if you already have the original tracks????

Maybe if you explained exactly what you're trying to do, I could suggest a better course of action.... so far, you haven't said anything that requires the sync track....

In any case, if you do want to sync, you have to stripe 1 track of the tape with a SMPTE or FSK tone, use a SmartFSK or MTC-based sync unit.... but this won't help you in this case anyways, since you don't have a sync track striped to the tape!

Just explain exactly what you're trying to do....

Bruce

What I'm tryin to do is mix the old with the new. I partially figured it out in Cubase, but it would still be nice to be able to sync as I have a gang of songs I would like to touch up. Basically in Cubase, (ie if I recorded a new part and wanted to move it around or copy and paste it)when you record a segment, and want to quickly move it, if the song isn't lined up with the click (or tempo), you can't do this(quickly anyway). If I wanted to put a loop based part in the song it wont work(unless it's perfectly synced to cubase). I don't understand why you can't see my problem here, your making it more complex then it needs to be("why do you need a click track if the song is completed"), if I wanted to take a bar out of the song and redo it, if there is no reference, it's not going to work. Thanks for the info on smpte, if I ever record again with the 464, this is good to know. I appreciate you trying to help, and I think you just answered my question, except I tried to buy a compatible mtc unit (I think thats what it was anyway)but the specific model I need aren't available anymore. Thanks Again

Back