Symetrix 528 voice processor

voiceguy

I'm a professional voice actor and am currently using a Neumann U47 fet mic, ProTools LE (M Box) along with a Universal Audio 710 Tube/Solid State combo amp. I bought the UA 710 because of the tube feature, as I like the warm feel it brings to my sessions. However, I've been hearing a lot about the Symetrix 528 voice processor (channel strip) and how impressive it is. ProTools offers compression, EQ, limiter, etc within its software. I'd like to know if I replace my UA 710 with the Symetrix: Will I get a noticeably improved quality of sound, clarity, EQ, etc?

The 528 is a decent enough preamp, but it really shines on broadcast. The processing is good - But not what I'd use for recording in most cases.

That was going to be my question......While the 528 does offer the compression, its more than likely a bit more flat sounding or colorless compared to the UA.

With that mic, pretty much anything you add to it is going to sound good(with a few exceptions) as long as you adhere to the parameters of the downstream chain.

Massive & Cavedog,
Thanks for the replies.

I've been a writer, director, producer for 30 years and throughout my career I've also worked as a voice actor. Now, with the economy in the shape it's in, I am looking to do more VO work. Over the years, I've learned to rely on the sound advice of engineers. (No pun intended).

I have a home VO studio consisting of the following: 4X4Vocal Booth (vocalbooth. com / Silver series). Neumann U47fet mic, ProTools LE & M Box, MAC, Universal Audio 710 amp., pair of KRK "Rocket5" speakers, hybrid phone patch. I have a deep, baritone voice with good flexibility and can read from Movie Trailer deep to mid-range DRTV easily. Since putting together the above package, I've been having trouble getting that crisp, clean sound out of my system. When I bounce my ProTools sessions to mp3 (which is how I send my audition scripts to clients/48k @ 256) I get a less than great sound. It sounds a bit muddy and doesn't have that great, crisp sound with plenty of bottom and mid pop. I guess I'm not hearing the punch. I've been told that I may not be using the right mic pre. Although my U47fet is one of the most sought after mics, I wonder if it's the best mic for me. Also, a lot of VO guys I know say they love the Symetrix 528 voice processor. Not sure if a piece of hardware like that has any advantages over the ProTools EQ, compressor/limiter, reverb, etc. that it comes with. All I do is voice work, so I'm interested in knowing what you'd recommend.

Perhaps the big questions here is my lack of experience working the EQ, compressor/limiter, de-esser and other controls within ProTools LE. The UA has no controls for these items, so I'm doing it all inside the ProTools software. Software vs Hardware...any thoughts? I'd like to know what experienced sound recordists / engineers think about using the ProTools LE software to EQ, compress and limit, as opposed to a piece of hardware (Amp/strip). Am I missing anything?
Much Obliged

Last edited:
I'm only guessing and mostly because the topology of the 710 seems to lend itself to a 'warm' type of sound. It may be a bit 'soft' for what you're needing. I could see it sounding BIG but without the POP....I cant imagine its the mic. It could be the angle you're working that mic though..They sound great in any position but maybe a teak to a more off-center angle will tame some of its natural proximity and give it more of that POP you're looking for....The 528 is a very nice channel strip built in the old school tradition. It has all you could ask for in a strip and has been said it is really designed for a V.O. application. I've owned three including one of the very early ones and never doubted I could get what I needed with them in any situation. They are a little on the flat side of things as there isnt much color involved, but they stay clea, have plenty of gain, the compressor is a very nice one with no color, and the EQ is enough to tweak an otherwise mundane sound.

I dont know how much tube you're using with your twin-finity, but more POP can be found on the soild-state side of the controls.

I performed a little experiment earlier today. Recored a slug from a script two times. First, with the UA Solid State cranked to 100%. Second, cranked to 100% tube. Mic level, proximity, EQ, all identical on both records. Here's the weird thing...I couldn't hear any difference. Now, I know I've been around loud sound for a long time, but my ears are usually pretty good. I couldn't hear any difference. I usually let the UA warm up for several minutes before recording. Does the tube need longer to warm? Anything you know of on the UA that would mute or cancel the Transistor / Tube dial?

Also, I would really like to know what a sound engineer thinks about the control feature built into the ProTools LE software, as opposed to rack mounted hardware, like the Symetrix or similar strip.

Cavedog, thanks for your replies. Just goes to show you, the old adage "you can't teach an old dog..." is mere myth.

When I am recording tube guitar amps or using a tube mic I usually let them warm up for several hours before plugging them in. This may be the other side of extreme but maybe you do need to let them set for a bit longer. A friend I learned so much from in the past had several tube devices in his studio and he never turned them off....

Got my UA on now and letting it stay on overnight, then will try my little test record again. This time with toasty tubes.

Any opinion on the EQ, compressor, limiter, de-esser, etc that is software driven within ProTools LE ? Intersted in hearing from audio guys as to their opinion regarding the difference between the software and a channel strip. Is the software in LE as good as some of the best strips? OR...is this where I might want to consider buying some hardware?

I like software in post but would prefer hardware in tracking. If you have plenty of processing power, the software available these days will rival but certainly not exceed the hardware its a copy or a sim of. Tools are tools, and the software benefits in some ways due to the noiseless operation of its functions but it will never replace the sound of signal being put through the circuits of hardware. Tubes, transistors and transformers each impart and IMPACT the signal in ways you simply cant write enough code to cover all the nuances. But as tools, software can do things to enhance the sound and if it sounds good it is good.

Agreed. So, if I were to ask you this ? : If you were advising me on the buildout of a new chain for my voice recordings, what AMP/Strip would you recommend for peak performance? What would you say?

Seriously? Money no object? Millenia Origin STT-1. You may NEVER get to all of its abilities but you'll sure get to yours....

Back