Syd Barret Octopus

Stratomaster

With so many projects and collaborations unfinished i decided to do something irrational and record a cover. I always found this song fascinating, a strange arrangement and even stranger lyrics. Recorded quickly and simply, addictive drums played on my yamaha midi kit, guitars recorded using my vox tonelab pedal, vocals and acoustic i used the rode nt2a direct into my rme ff800. No post effects i just turned the mix up a few db. Comments and criticisms welcome. Enjoy. Song is called Octopus by the late great Syd Barret, recorded after he was ousted from Pink Floyd.

octopus by NovaBasa | Nova Basa | Free Listening on SoundCloud

Last edited:
Don't know the original but your guitar tone and vocal reverb certainly hark back to the 60s. Nice recording, clean and honest. Mix is well balanced on headphones. Interesting tune with those weird guitar chords. Vocals are excellent and BVs are great too. Nice job

I don't usually listen to covers, but I think this song is so obscure was worth a listen.

Recording and mix is A1. Nice.

Don't know the original either. The vocal levels are probably true to the original, but could come up a bit. It's my usual preference - the rhythm guitars are panned too far out, separates them too much.

Good mix. Syd was a character and had some interesting stuff back in the day. I think everything sounds pretty good as nothing sticks out to much. Good low end too. I think vocals sound good on my system.

Mostly it's pretty good.

The lead vocal is a bit covered.

The mix is a bit narrow. The drums especially sound narrow.

The mix overall is missing a bit of cripsness. It has a general lack of high end.

Sounded like Pink Floyd, to me, the second it started. The only thing that kinda didn't was the second vocal that came in after a min or so. It certainly had the PInk Floyd vibe and sound, though. Nicely done

Back