SX3: issue with group tracks

pointfive

In SX3, I want to do something that should be pretty straightforward: route a group track to another group track. For example, I have a (mono) group channel named Snare, with 2 audio tracks routed to it (top and bottom mic). I want to route the Snare output to my Drums group track (stereo).

From what I've read, this should be doable. Simple, even. However, the only option on the output of the Snare track is "Stereo Out".

Do I have something misconfigured? Is there another way to do this? I glanced at the Group/FX tab on the VST Connections window, but had no luck there either.

I usually work around this by linking channels, but that's not always useful.

To further confuse me, every once in awhile I'll happen to notice that I, in fact, can select another group track as the output for a group. But I have no idea why I sometimes can and sometimes cannot.

Any ideas will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

In SX3, I want to do something that should be pretty straightforward: route a group track to another group track. For example, I have a (mono) group channel named Snare, with 2 audio tracks routed to it (top and bottom mic). I want to route the Snare output to my Drums group track (stereo).

From what I've read, this should be doable. Simple, even. However, the only option on the output of the Snare track is "Stereo Out".

Do I have something misconfigured? Is there another way to do this? I glanced at the Group/FX tab on the VST Connections window, but had no luck there either.

I usually work around this by linking channels, but that's not always useful.

To further confuse me, every once in awhile I'll happen to notice that I, in fact, can select another group track as the output for a group. But I have no idea why I sometimes can and sometimes cannot.

Any ideas will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

All I have on my effects tracks are "stereo out" too. I'm not sure about group tracks, I'll look on Thursday, which is the next day I'll have an opportunity to get out in my studio.... let me know if you figure it out!!

Peace,

~Shawn

I'm not at home but just copied this from the manual:
"Using Groups affords a greater degree of flexibility than using Send Effects.
For one, you can route the Group to a further Group, and not just to a VST Output as with a Send Effect."

I'll check back when I get home to see how if you don't have it figured out by then.

I'm not at home but just copied this from the manual:
"Using Groups affords a greater degree of flexibility than using Send Effects.
For one, you can route the Group to a further Group, and not just to a VST Output as with a Send Effect."

I'll check back when I get home to see how if you don't have it figured out by then.

Yup, I read the same line. But when I go to select the output of my (group) "Snare" track, I can't select any other group tracks. I want to send it to "Drums" (another group), but the only option available to select is "Stereo Out".

My guess is it's a bug. Or perhaps an issue with my soundcard (MAudio 2496). I'm hoping it's just some esoteric VST Connection setting I don't understand, but someone here does. :)

I just got home and tried it.

I think what you need to do is create the group track you want to send it to first.

I created group track one and then group track two.

I went to the mixer and under group track one I was able to direct the output to group track two.

I think what you need to do is create the group track you want to send it to first.

I went to the mixer and under group track one I was able to direct the output to group track two.
Hmm... okay, thanks. I'll give that a try. Normally that's the sequence I do follow, but I'll give it another shot.

In order to route a group channel to another group channel the first one has to be before the second one. In other words, group channel 1 can be routed to group channel 2, 3, 4 and so on. Group channel 3 can be routed to group channel 4 and up, but can not be routed to group channel 1 or 2.

The last group channel can only be routed to an output buss.

BTW, it doesn't matter if you change the order on the screen, the last group channel you created will still only go to the main output. In other words, the group channels remember what order they were in originally.

In order to route a group channel to another group channel the first one has to be before the second one. In other words, group channel 1 can be routed to group channel 2, 3, 4 and so on. Group channel 3 can be routed to group channel 4 and up, but can not be routed to group channel 1 or 2.

The last group channel can only be routed to an output buss.

BTW, it doesn't matter if you change the order on the screen, the last group channel you created will still only go to the main output. In other words, the group channels remember what order they were in originally.
That makes perfect sense, thank you.

Thanks... this kind of addressed the problem. Here's what I did.

I had four tracks of cello audio; two different takes using two different mics.

1) Created a mono group track called "Cello 1"; routed mics 1 & 2 from take 1 to it.

2) Created another mono group track called "Cello 2"; routed mics 1 & 2 from take 2 to it.

3) Created a stereo group track called "Cellos". I went back to the other 2 group tracks and was able to to select "Cellos" as the output.

At this point I was excited. BUT... no audio was registering as coming into the track. I still heard the audio, but if I soloed "Cellos", I heard nothing. If I muted "Cellos", I still heard the audio from the 2 mono group tracks. So it's still not working and I'm assuming it's a bug at this point. Not sure if it's worth contacting Steinberg... it's annoying but not a showstopper.

What happens if you use stereo groups for everything? That really shouldn't happen. I tried it here and averything worked as it should.

Back