switching to mono in audition

79_Les_Paul

anyone here familiar with how you switch between stereo and mono on the output of your mix?......i want to be able to listen to a mix in a mono signal and haven't been able to figure out the best way yet.

A friend of mine says this is crucial to detect out of phase signals.

Your friend is right. An easy way is to use the Effects/Amplitude/Channel Mixer Average preset. Out of phase will be noticable in anything that is in the center.. Ususally the bass and vocals, so pay attention to that.

Hey, Dakota - thanks. I've been wondering how to do that for ages. :)

Now, is there a way to do it in Multitrack? LOL

Next question:

"Out of phase will be noticable in anything that is in the center.."

What's it sound like when it's out of phase?

In multitrack, it's done the same way. Click on your FX, then add an Amplitude/Channel mixer and chose the Average preset. If you want to have multiple tracks play back in mono, you'll either have to do a mix down, or send everything to the same bus where you added the Channel Mixer effect.

Out of phase signals will cancel eachother out thus sounding quiter than normal, or completely silent if the sound was dead center to begin with.

Dakota said:
In multitrack, it's done the same way. Click on your FX, then add an Amplitude/Channel mixer and chose the Average preset. If you want to have multiple tracks play back in mono, you'll either have to do a mix down, or send everything to the same bus where you added the Channel Mixer effect.

Out of phase signals will cancel eachother out thus sounding quiter than normal, or completely silent if the sound was dead center to begin with.

Ahhhhhh! Nothing like free, live training........I love it!

Thanks Dakota

Back