Switching to Cubase 7

Vigo

So i am getting pretty pissed about some stuff on my cubase 5 that's why im changing computer AND getting Cubase 7

I have good friends who built my comp but what im looking for are good advices on how to get Cubase 7.5 with everything that i need (not looking for artist or element)

I checked quickly and found this out Steinberg Cubase 7 5 Music Production Software Audio MIDI DAW Educational Box 802240128038 | eBay

would that be a good deal? just started looking around for it i don't know what would be a good or bad price, how much did it cost you guys?

EDIT : Says its 500 bucks on the steinberg website can i get a cheaper yet legal and secure copy of it?

That's looks like a great price. It says Authorized Dealer and I think that's important. You'll need an iLock or Steinberg key. Another $30 if you don't have one.

Just so you know, Cubase Artist does just about everything the full-blown version does. Most home recording types don't need everything in Cubase. If cost is an issue, then try to tame the "Gear Lust" :D and get Artist.

That's looks like a great price. It says Authorized Dealer and I think that's important. You'll need an iLock or Steinberg key. Another $30 if you don't have one.

Just so you know, Cubase Artist does just about everything the full-blown version does. Most home recording types don't need everything in Cubase. If cost is an issue, then try to tame the "Gear Lust" :D and get Artist.

Well, the drawback of getting an 'Education Edition' is that you get no discount for upgrade. I believe you get the maintenance updates, but none of the upgrades. Not at discount anyway. For instance, my upgrade from Cubase 6 to 7 was $150 if I remember correctly. If you had educational version of 6, you would have to pay $500 for C7 upgrade. Oh, and you should actually be a student...I believe they require a student ID, but not sure about what the sellers of the product do. Some people get a legal medical marijuana card just by telling the doctor they have anxiety. Whatever...

Artist has most of the goodies, but no pitch correction (VariAudio) or time warp stuff. No track edit of groups (I could not live without that myself). No automation panel and no batch export. If those and others are not things you need, then go with the lesser version.

As far as I know: I believe Artist uses a 'soft elicenser' so no dongle required. Only registration via Steinberg. There is never any 'iLOK' required for Cubase. The full version license of Cubase 7 is always locked to the dongle which comes included with the full purchase price of Cubase 'boxed' version. You would need to purchase one if ordering the download version of the product.

I personally would not buy Cubase from anyone other than Steinberg directly. I am not sure that they actually sell the academic version themselves though. Never had reason to look myself. I have seen sites that look legit, but are actually selling cracked software. Why take the chance of getting screwed?

Here is the comparison chart for Cubase 7 versions:

http://www.steinberg.net/fileadmin/...ubase_7/Downloads/Cubase_Comparison_Chart.pdf

EDIT:

Yes Steinberg does sell the educational versions. And at the same price that you found.

Just deal with the source man, and be honest. :)

http://www.steinberg.net/en/shop/education/educational_products.html

Last edited:
Oh, I didn't even notice the Educational thing. No wonder it is so cheap. I have Artist and it uses the dongle for a license, but maybe because I have had the dongle for a long time and Steinberg always applied the license to it as I upgraded through the products.

Learn something new everyday. :)

Wait, did Steinberg change that Jimmy? I thought that was a logic/pro tools thing.

I started on SL3 (student) and my upgrade path has been as if I bought it at normal price. Never had to shell for a full version. I have to say upgrading from SL3 to 5 was not cheap and that was kind of a bummer.

Anyhow, you are more than likely going to get the dongle in the software even with the educational version. Education versions are a great way to save money and I say do that if you can prove you are a student or an educator.

I agree about not needing everything that comes in the highest level. To me it's like cable tv--shitloads of channels and you only watch 10%. I have Cubase Elements 7. I love it, has anything I would want. But I am also a fairly meat and potatoes guy. Drums, guitars, bass, vocals + mastering eq, compression, limiter. Maybe some cheesy synth strings here and there. Elements is $99. So for $99 you can start on 7, get used to it, and if you want more, upgrade from there.

What is the difference between the AI version and Elements? That version comes free with the purchase of some equipment items.

When I bought Cubase 6 a couple of years ago, only Elements used the soft eLicenser, so you had to buy a dongle just to trial Artist and the full version. Could've changed since then, though.

What is the difference between the AI version and Elements? That version comes free with the purchase of some equipment items.

I believe the AI version is much the same as LE. I am not sure if there is a comparison chart for it specifically.

Once you have LE or AI, the upgrades are cheaper. Take one step up and see. You will not pay more for the full version by moving up in steps. Not that I am aware of anyway.

Well except for the dongle thingy...

The AI version of 7 would not let me disable tracks but had to mute them. Elements will. Elements came with a few more nice plugins--check that vintage compressor. A few more functioning tools, definitely better.

Hello all,

I will have to correct you guys on some points:

Wrong, the educational version does come with a USB-eLicenser you do not need to purchase it separately.
The educational version of Cubase is exactly the same as the full version, the only difference is that you pay half the price but you have to proof that you are a student.
In the Cubase 5 time it didn't come with a printed manual but now a days none come with a printed manual.

Well, the drawback of getting an 'Education Edition' is that you get no discount for upgrade. I believe you get the maintenance updates, but none of the upgrades. Not at discount anyway. For instance, my upgrade from Cubase 6 to 7 was $150 if I remember correctly. If you had educational version of 6, you would have to pay $500 for C7 upgrade. Oh, and you should actually be a student...I believe they require a student ID, but not sure about what the sellers of the product do. Some people get a legal medical marijuana card just by telling the doctor they have anxiety. Whatever...

You can purchase the upgrades like any other version.
Yes, you have to be a student.

As far as I know: I believe Artist uses a 'soft elicenser' so no dongle required. Only registration via Steinberg. There is never any 'iLOK' required for Cubase. The full version license of Cubase 7 is always locked to the dongle which comes included with the full purchase price of Cubase 'boxed' version. You would need to purchase one if ordering the download version of the product.

Cubase Artist 7 also uses the USB-eLicenser, only Cubase Elements 7 is soft-eLicenser.
At the moment the full version of Cubase 7 and Cubase Artist 7 is only available as a box version, because you need the USB-eLicenser.

I personally would not buy Cubase from anyone other than Steinberg directly. I am not sure that they actually sell the academic version themselves though. Never had reason to look myself. I have seen sites that look legit, but are actually selling cracked software. Why take the chance of getting screwed?

You can read all the information regarding educational products on the following link:

Education :  | http://www.steinberg.net/

I hope everything is clear now.
Best regards,
GN

Back