Switching between -10 and +4

Adam P

I currently run an Allen & Heath board with an Alesis HD24 recorder. The A&H's buss outs are set for +4 operation, as the HD24 calls for. I'm looking at picking up another recording device, maybe a Fostex R8 or Tascam Syncaset, that I believe operates at -10. What I'm wondering is if there's any solution to interfacing the +4 console with the -10 recorder, other than an expensive unit like the Ebtech Line Level Shifter, or opening the board up and messing with jumpers (it's too large for me to do that every time I felt like changing things around). Is it possible to build a DIY unit for much less? Thanks a lot.

Thanks, I thought about that. What about going back out from the recorder to the board for mixing? Crank the gain?

Adam P said:
Thanks, I thought about that. What about going back out from the recorder to the board for mixing? Crank the gain?

Yeah, that's easy because you can set the channel gain at the correct level for the board. The inputs are tougher because you'll have to set the channel gain 12dB below unity, but just get used to using the meters on the Fostex and you shouldn't have any trouble.

Back