Switch to Pro Tools?

JonathanRay

I'm undecided on whether or not to switch to a Pro Tools system, or upgrade my current Mackie Trackion system.

Currently I use Mackie's Onyx 1620 with the firewire card and Mackie's Tracktion version 2. It allows me to record up to 16 different tracks at once, plenty of processing power through Trackion, everything works great. However, should I consider moving to a Pro Tools system now, before investing anymore time or money into my Tracktion system?

I like the idea of having some experience with Pro Tools, the "industry standard." :rolleyes: Yet, it's really expensive, and I could only record up to 8 tracks at once with a single Digi 002 or 002 Rack (I can only afford one right now).

Does anyone know if I could purchase a 2nd Digi 002 Rack, and use both simultaneously, allowing me to record up to 16 tracks at once?

I'd appreciate any comments, opinions, or suggestions. Thanks!

You can add a command 8 to the 002 and 002r or a PreSonus Digimax, etc...

I use a mobile rig with a mac laptop, a digi002, and a digimax FS with some other gear (pres, comp, eq, etc...) along with the SSL 4000 collection (well worth the price)

I hope this helps, good luck! :D

btw...ignore the PT haters, if it's what you want/need, get it.

JonathanRay said:
..... plenty of processing power through Trackion, everything works great. However, should I consider moving to a Pro Tools system now, before investing anymore time or money into my Tracktion system?

I like the idea of having some experience with Pro Tools, the "industry standard." :rolleyes: Yet, it's really expensive, and I could only record up to 8 tracks at once with a single Digi 002 or 002 Rack (I can only afford one right now).

What advantages would moving get you? You say that you like the idea of getting experience with the "industry standard", but what will that give you?

As I see it, what you have is working fine. That would be good enough for me.

However, if there are other reasons you see an advantage (getting work?) than maybe it is worth the investment. Only you can say if it is worth it to you.

You can't use two 002's at once.

However, you can record much more than 8 simultanious tracks with the 002.

You can get up to 18 simultanious inputs using the 8 analog ins, 8 ADAT, and 2 SPDIF.

Thanks for the replies. How does ADAT work? :o

Also, I was thinking another alternative may be switching to Cubase instead. The main reason I'm interested in purchasing a Pro Tools system is to gain experience using more "professional" or "standard" recording software.

Has anyone used Cubase and Pro Tools? How do they compare or contrast?

Thanks again.

Last edited:
JonathanRay said:
Thanks for the replies. How does ADAT work? :o

you just purchase a TOSLINK cable...then plug it inbetween both devices. Of course, you have to worry about clocking (just set PT to slave to the digital device)

If you want to really learn PT, then grab it. Especially if you plan on trying to work for a company (or starting your own) that uses PT (most medium to large companies do). How many inputs at once do you need? You may look at some of the M-Audio stuff...although you have to purchase M-Powered separately. This may help you with your hunt.

I don't use Cubase, so I can't comment on that...but I hear that it's a lot like Nuendo. And Nuendo's pretty nice.

The software itself isn't all that great. Good and useable, but being the "industry standard" doesn't mean anything except that its "standard." Not "best", not "great"- just "standard."

And THAT's referring the Pro Tool TDM or HD- not Pro Tools LE. *Very* different beasts.

No, I'm not a Pro Tools hater: I own a 002 and an mbox and its my primary platform. I'm being realistic, though, and I can say from experience that Pro Tools LE is about the LEAST powerful DAW in its class- unless you pay quite a bit extra for upgrades.

Most folks who have LE don't mind the limitations and for the most part I don't either. Given that the software is free with the hardware its not a bad price, either, if you don't need the upgrades. But if you need any kind of expandability or better quality convertors then the LE line is very limiting. That doesn't seem very professional, does it?

But you can't explain that to low ball clients if you're thinking of setting up shop. They all know about Pro Tools- just enough to demand it without having any idea why- and it pays to have that name recognition. That and the ability to transfer projects to other studies easily are the only reasons I think Pro Tools LE is worth the money.

Take care,
Chris

Thanks for all the replies. I'll be attending college next year as a music major and also hope to study the recording arts. I was considering getting some experience with the Pro Tools system, being that it is the standard in most major studios.

Also, you can hear a recording I made last weekend using my Mackie Tracktion setup at www.myspace.com/jonathanandjosh

Yes.

It did all of my taxes last March, sent my mom a card and some flowers on her birthday, broke up with my girlfriend for me, and gives the dog water twice a day.

However, the IRS didn't get my filing. Apparently they didn't have the required hardware connected, and I couldn't send them an OMF of it.

I switched to PT Christmas of last year. I like it, it does what I want it do to. So did my pirated copy of Nuendo. I do not care for pirated software or software pirates, so I deleted it from hard drive and downloaded the M-Powered demo. It took me a few days to get over the looks of PT, it seemed rather colorful and toy like compared to Nuendo. Once I figured my way around in it, I decided it was more user friendly (to me) and I bought M-Powered. 9 months later, I dropped M-Powered for a Digi 002 and PT LE 7.

My long ago deleted pirated copy of Nuendo 3 "sounded" just as good as PT, which sounds just as good as the freeware/shareware/underwear programs out there...I just simply prefer to work with Protools over those other apps. Regardless of track limitations, expensive add on's, being forced to use their hardware (oh yeah, they're a hardware company that actually gives you the software), or whatever limitations people will tell you/complain about, I prefer Protools.

Just my 2 lil' ole pitiful cents.

Ford Van said:
Best in the world?

:rolleyes:

ever heard of sarcasm, fuckwit?

nope?

didn't think so.

and if you'd actually taken the time to read my contribution to that thread you'd read that i posted something along the lines of "chose whatever program suits your work flow best".

but no, instead of that, you jumped to some stupid fucking conclusion, open your mouth and sounded like a fucking moron.

your loss, not mine :D

oh and the neg'rep really hurt.

JonathanRay said:
Thanks for all the replies. I'll be attending college next year as a music major and also hope to study the recording arts. I was considering getting some experience with the Pro Tools system, being that it is the standard in most major studios.

Also, you can hear a recording I made last weekend using my Mackie Tracktion setup at www.myspace.com/jonathanandjosh

I like it. I'd like to hear it not smashed to hell by myspace compression!

TuoKaerf said:
Yes.

It did all of my taxes last March, sent my mom a card and some flowers on her birthday, broke up with my girlfriend for me, and gives the dog water twice a day.

However, the IRS didn't get my filing. Apparently they didn't have the required hardware connected, and I couldn't send them an OMF of it.

Your dog drinks 2 bowls of water per day?

warble2 said:
Is that OK? ;)

see if you used a more CPU-efficient program you could probably get away with 1 to 1.5 bowls a day.

but hey - if that's where you want to spend your money, then that's your choice...

I honestly don't understand why anyone would go the M-box or similar route.
Don't get me wrong, Pro Tools is as noted, pretty much an industry standard.
However... when we say PT=Industry Standard, I think the vast majority of folks think PT-HD. I can understand someone moving to that platform. I just don't understand the lure of the entry level PT stuff. Perhaps someone would elucidate?

Back