swinging cymbals

sirslurpee

What does THIS button do?
so I always used to think it was because my cymbals are somewhat cheap that it sounded like this, but I figured recently that because the cymbal is swinging, it does not sound constant.. I used to only notice it recorded but I noticed it practicing one day and that's how I figured it out.
Anyway, is there anything I can do to keep this from translating to mics too much? Maybe bring the overheads higher over the kit/cymbals or something?
I would just put like 4 or 5 felts in there and just tighten the shit out of them but I already hit hard and especially when I get new cymbals, I don't want to break them in the first week haha..

You don't want to clamp down on your cymbals, that's a BAAAAAD thing, almost guaranteed to cause breakage. Let them sing, let them swing. Them sounding bad is either:

the mics
the cymbals
the player

The main thing you want to do when micing cymbals is NOT be anywhere close to where the edge of the cymbal is swinging in front of the mic.

Get some distance between the mics and cymbals or go directly over or under, not at the edge.
(Unless you LIKE that swishy washy, phasey sound)

yeah I think it is a placement issue.. I tried some things and got a lot better sound out of them by raising the OH's up a bit... it gets a little more room sound but that's okay because my room doesn't sound terrible..
Thanks guys :-D

Back