Sweet Marguerita

K-dub

I'm going to chat a little about procedural setups, because once you really dive deep into mixing, a lot of what you do to get results winds up being habit - how you approach your mixes. These days, I work from the end to the start. I address the two bus first.

Most folks want to hear the end result as they mix, and I'm little different. I do too. Accordingly, the first thing I do is arrange the end of the output chain into settings that will give me a consistent result. There are a lot of mastering plugs. I lean towards the Wave AG Mastering ... and then because I like the enhancement, I follow that with the Ozone 9 Elements plug. The limiter (Maximizer) in that plug is wonderfully transparent. I always tweak the "full master" preset - allowing for more bass and less mid than the preset default setting is.

Also, before I do any drum mixing, I set up the master drum bus ... again by simply knowing what achieves the sound I want - while appearing natural. There are five distinct components:

>Light compression
>Trimming the transients (limiting)
>Heavier compression on the bus output
>Parallel compression on the bus output
>Parallel compression (light) on the kick/snare

Once that's established, I mix drums and bass - ONLY. The DRUMS establish the level. The buss is set -14db ... which is where most digital allows 0dbv. Again just habit and experience ... but the settings also don't overload the mastering on the two bus - which you want peaking at less than 0db. It's the drums that will always overload the two bus, so it's best to address them first.

Balancing the bass against the kick so it is clearly heard (crucial) is merely a quick set prior to folding in the other elements.

Panning is your friend when it comes to high frequency instruments. Fold in on sonic stage across the l-r spectrum. The aim is blend w/o interference. Always remember that in mixing, two competing frequencies become indistinct. Separate for distinction. Set the bed accordingly.

The LAST thing I address in mixing is the most forward thing: The vocals. They are always out front and ride on top.

They are also the most important thing.

But that's a whole thread unto itself. In that, they need to be "wide and ride".

Last edited:
For anyone who enjoys the blues vibe - as I've said before - I'm screaming quickly through the mixing ... and I finished up the jazz/blues album closer this morning. I don't want to start another thread, but if you'd like a listen to the last two bluesy track ... this follows the above selection on the release:

I'm a fan of vocal-forward mixes, too. I mean, if there's a song with words worth singing, why bury them?

So, while I agree with the perspective, in these mixes, the vocal might be a smidge too forward and maybe clean (entirely IMO, to my ear). Maybe a bit of grit from a vintage pre/comp/whatever to fit sonically, but it's just a hair too on top. And, I seemed to feel it more in the first one more than the second, but maybe I was used to it by then :). (Try less pre-delay on vox verb?) Again, my ear...

Nice work, regardless of my thoughts.

I'm a fan of vocal-forward mixes, too. I mean, if there's a song with words worth singing, why bury them?

So, while I agree with the perspective, in these mixes, the vocal might be a smidge too forward and maybe clean (entirely IMO, to my ear). Maybe a bit of grit from a vintage pre/comp/whatever to fit sonically, but it's just a hair too on top. And, I seemed to feel it more in the first one more than the second, but maybe I was used to it by then :). (Try less pre-delay on vox verb?) Again, my ear...

Nice work, regardless of my thoughts.
All good thoughts, Keith! Everyone who works largely by themselves needs to hear different takes on what they're hearing. That's the beauty of online help.

I was listening to some of the recent Beatle mixes off Revolver. I mean, who can better afford the best sound than the Beatles empire? They completely take the vocal forward approach. They're mixed so cleanly that you can imagine the lead singer right on the mic delivering it live in front of you.

... and I'll add not only do you want to hear the words, I figure that if harmonies are a feature, then feature them. I mixed everything so THEY could shine out front as well.

Thanks for the listen!

That bass out front and centre is great. Love that growly tone. Nice full mix too. Vocals really set the scene. Put this on at a wedding, everyone's on their feet :D

That bass out front and centre is great. Love that growly tone. Nice full mix too. Vocals really set the scene. Put this on at a wedding, everyone's on their feet :D
I did go back and revise the levels based on Keith's input, Kiernan. I THINK I have everything in the pocket correctly.

The funny thing about this is that we recorded it and then we completely changed the opening to the jam. It used to just start at the vocal.

All of the opening is copy and paste with the drums and overdubs on the rest.

Back