SW1000xg/DS2416 compatibilty issues

Melody master

I recently bought a new computer which used a asus A7N8X-Deluxe mother board with a 3000XP athlon. I installed my SW1000xg/DS2416(x2) and the computer really overheated, and broke my graphics card. Does anyone use any recent motherboards/processors, or the same motherboard/processor with these cards without any problems?

cheers

Melody

There are lots of compatability issues with the Yamaha cards and mobos, but I've never heard of the cards blowing up a mobo before. You might want to check jumper settings on the mobo & other stuff like that.

I can say that the asus isn't the most popular choice for the DS2416, but people have gotten it to work. Assuming your mobo still works, try moving around the cards in different slots until they each have their own IRQ.

What you really should do is subscribe to the DS2416 list here:

http://www.ampfea.org/mailman/listinfo/dspfact-list

Amazingly there was a question on the same mobo today, so read the archives for June 2003.

Personally, I have 2 DS2416 + SW1000XG on an intel 815 mobo, no troubles whatsoever.

thanks for the reply, seems someone is having the same problem like you said. I wondering wether i should just buy loads of fans to keep my cards really cool. I'm just hoping I don't have to sell them and buy new cards, not unless there's one out there with 16 stereo audio channels and a decent range of midi sounds for £500, any suggestions?

Cheers

Melody

Doesn't make sense that the cards are running too hot. They aren't particularly hot cards, thus no heatsinks or fans on the cards. If your mobo is overheating, there is some other problem.

Try running with the cover off and a window fan aimed into the box before you buy a lot of case fans. If that doesn't fix the problem, case fans won't.

Again, try moving the cards around to eliminate IRQ conflicts. Install/remove one card at a time to see if a single card is the problem. Run without any cards to make sure the mobo is OK.

If all that still fails, and you still want to use the cards, you might want to consider a different mobo. Since these cards don't use the CPU, you don't need a really fast board, you could get an Intel PIII board including memory & processor for a lot less than 500 pounds.

Back