SVT3 Pro gain setting question

werewolf831

In the settings section of the owners manual for the SVT3 pro, they have the tube gain and master volume turned all the way up, and then they use the gain knob to adjust the volume. Why wouldn't the manual suggest using the master volume to set the desired overall volume instead? Just always wondered about that. I'd post a pic but but the ampeg site won't load up for me tonight. Any insight to this would be helpful.
Cheers
werewolf

That will give you the cleanest sound. If you turn the master down and the gain up, you will get more distortion. SVT's are supposed to distort a bit, you will have to play with it to find your sound.

I've owned one since 99, don't have the manual anymore. There is a peak/mute led next to the gain knob, play hard and turn gain until the peak stops lighting, or occasionally lights. The tube gain knob is useless, leave it turned all the way up, it's an Ampeg, the whole point is to get a tube sound.
The notion of turning the master wide open and use the gain for primary control sounds crazy.

BroadRun said:
The notion of turning the master wide open and use the gain for primary control sounds crazy.
At one time, I would have agreed with this statement. Except that, recently, I have found myself using my own primary bass amp (a Mesa Boogie) in exactly this manner -- master set on full blast, and controlling the volume with the gain knob. I've found that this works extremely well. When I'm playing quieter sets, such as our acoustic gigs, then I have a very clean sound. When we crank it up and go to the electric gigs, then I have more distortion. And both sound appropriate for the types of material that we're doing in each setting.

Ultimately, though, it depends upon what kind of sound you're going for. If you want a cleaner sound, then the master volume should be higher than the gain knob. If you want more distortion, then it should be the other way around.

Back