Superlux SD condensors

Yes, we've been using a pair of the Superlux CM-H8K/U/H/O with interchangeable capsules, and these are excellent mics. We recently recorded 42 pairs of small condensers and the Superlux did as well or better than most of the pairs of budget small condensers.

These are worth picking up soon, because the price is likely to go up when people start hearing about them. I highly recommend them.

Dan Richards
Digital Pro Sound
The Listening Sessions

Hey Dot,

I asked this over at TapeOp but I think you missed it....How did those things do against the Rode NT5s?

Very Curious,

heylow

With a self noise of 22db, would I notice any hiss? I currently use the oktava 012s at 14db and the 603s at 17db, and don't notice any noise. What difference would 5-8 db make, if any?

heylow, soundwise, I prefer the Superlux CM-8HK to the Røde NT5's. I just think they sound better. Though if you match the specs, the Superlux has 22dB A-weighted self-noise to the NT5's 16dB. The NT5's also require less gain than the Superlux by about 6dB. That might translate fine if your using the Superlux for drum OH's, but not as well for super-quiet acoustic parts. It depends on the application.

flatrockrecordin, I think the self-noise could be an issue. I would never recommend the Superlux for super critical recording - but then, I wouldn't recommend any of the budget small condensers for really critical recording. What most people want budget SDC's for are to use with drum OH's, percussion, amps and acoustic guitar. Anything around 14-15ish dB self-noise is nothing amazingly quiet anyway. And if you look at a mic that does get used a lot for critical recording - something like the Earthworks QTC-1 - it also has an A-weighted self-noise of 22dB.

We also found during the recordings that the Superlux CM-8HK's didn't need as much gain from the mic pre as some of the other mics.

Rossi, looking at the Superlux mics I have here, it certainly appears that they're the same mic. What's funny is in the pic of the Samson C02 mics - which are cardioid - they show the mics with the hypercardioid caps.

The new Superlux ECM-999 also appears to be a black version of the Behringer ECM8000.

Dan Richards
Digital Pro Sound
The Listening Sessions

It appears to me that the Samson mics are made by Tenlux as well, but I'm not 100 % sure. The accessories look the same, too. BTW. I own a Tenlux LD tube mic which bears the brand name T.Bone, but otherwise is identical with the Superlux equivalent. The shock mount looks the same as the ones for the Samson C01/C03 mics.

I noticed the strange thing about the polar patterns, too. I'm supposed to get a couple of Samson mics for testing/reviewing within the next few weeks, so I'll be able to find out.

What's curious about the Samson mics is that they're about the same price as the Superlux mics, perhaps even cheaper. The German retail price is 129 Euros for the matched cardioid pair including accessories. The street price might be about 110-120 Euros, I guess. I haven't seen them in stores yet.

Back