Superlux FK-2 vs CAD KM212....

Russtopher

AKA "Battle of the cheapie kick mics" :)

I own the KM212 which I am thoroughly NOT impressed with, it came with a CAD pre-pack. The tom mics and snare mic aren't that bad to be honest, but even with mucho EQ plus running another squashed kick track alongside it, I just can't get a good sound out of the mic.

Doing some research I've read good things about the Superlux FK-2. As much as I'd love an Audix D6, my budget is sub-$100 at this point. I play/record heavier rock, so I'm looking for a bit of a click to cut through distorted guitars but still with some decent natural low end.

Has anyone heard both mics and can offer an opinion? Or, another option for a decent kick thump that doesn't need to be EQ'd to high heaven?

Thanks!

Audio Technica or Peavey

Hi,

I like the FK-2 for kick. I have heard good recordings with it. I have one and it is definitely tailored for kick. I really wouldn't use it for anything else but it does sound good on kick.

I don't use it much recording because I like my Audio Technica ATM25. (Not the Pro25 which is their kit mic.) The ATM25 is great on kick either close to the beater or outside the drum. It is also an excellent general purpose instrument mic for cabinets, horns, stand up bass.

The Peavey 520i (520tn is the same mic) is another instrument mic that will handle a kick drum. It's even good for vocals.

Both of these mics can be had under $100. Check ebay or godaddys.

Thanks,

Hairy Larry

+1 on the ATM25. I bought my D6 used for @ $100. So if that is your spending limit, a D6 is possible at that price.

Back