Super cool and way fun song. :) What do you think?

blkdog7

What Pro Tools *****?
Started working with a new singer last night.

This is our first effort as a duo. What do you think?

Would love comments about the performances, mix, recording quality, etc.

The song isn't finished. But it's close enough for critique.

I'm not too keen on the drum track, but the rest of it sounds pretty decent. How was it recorded?

It was recorded in Pro Tools LE with an Mbox 2. Microkorg, Fender Jazz bass, Tele and 60s Blackface Twin. :)

Here's a new version:

Fixed the hi-hat in the chorus, tweaked the bridge and removed the distortion on the vox in the chorus.

Here's a new version:

Fixed the hi-hat in the chorus, tweaked the bridge and removed the distortion on the vox in the chorus.

Nice and loud mix. That's good. Singer sounds pretty good, kind of like George Micheal. The drum loops get grating in a hurry. I like the melody of the song, and the chord progression. I'd find a new drum samples.... maybe somthing kind of low-fi, sort of hip-hop instead of the house loops you chose. Nix the guitar solo. The whole thing isn't even in the correct scale. Now that's horrid. Have him learn to play real chords, and add more harmonic content through the entire song.

You really think the solo is not in key?

The solo is in C#m penatonic and the changes are E, C#, B.

You really think the solo is not in key?

The solo is in C#m penatonic and the changes are E, C#, B.

Actually, the changes are C#, A and B bass notes. That would certainly imply a C#m. The problem is that you've shifted the whole tonal center. When you play in C#m, you are actually playing in E major... Your song here is B, with it's relative minor or G#m. You've changed the key for the solo, and I didn't even realize it at first because there are no chords being played there, but if there were, they would be C#m, A, and B.... the thing that makes it a key change is the "A" chord. So.... in reality you need to get rid of the "A" and play something else, and then play in B major, or G# minor.

Actually, the changes are C#, A and B bass notes. That would certainly imply a C#m. The problem is that you've shifted the whole tonal center. When you play in C#m, you are actually playing in E major... Your song here is B, with it's relative minor or G#m. You've changed the key for the solo, and I didn't even realize it at first because there are no chords being played there, but if there were, they would be C#m, A, and B.... the thing that makes it a key change is the "A" chord. So.... in reality you need to get rid of the "A" and play something else, and then play in B major, or G# minor.

You are very wise. :)

I'm gonna kill that 'A'. We knew the bridge blew. I just haven't had a chance to address it or figure out what was throwing it off. I was really struggling with what to play there too. It will improve. Thanks for the lesson.

Ok, let's try to be objective here.......

The whole song sounds to me too programmed from start to finish, the drumkit reminds me of an old typewriter, the voice is flat sometimes, The sequenced keyboards reminiscent of 70's disco (...that's not good!), composition-wise it doesn't seem to go anywhere, too robotic. It simply doesn't sound hand-made to me.
You know what, you should try doing a cover :rolleyes:

We redid the vocals, what do you think? :)

The drums are supposed to be like this. It's the intention. :)

You guys rule!!

Back