Sunny Day Love - Recent re-mix of old recording

BeniRose

I recorded this track by an artist named Kelly Ruth a few years back as a wedding present for another friend of ours. The whole thing was done in 4 days: recording, mixing, and duplicating a 4-track EP to give away at the wedding as a party favour. I never really felt these songs got the attention they deserved, so I recently remixed this song to see if I could get it sounding better. It definitely sounds much better than the original mix, so I thought I'd share it with you guys. I think I'm happy with it, and will probably put it in my portfolio. What do you think, good enough to use?

Nice Song! For what it's worth, I think its a nice song and a pretty nice mix. My preference, (take it or leave it) would have been to hear a bit more slap on the bass drum because its dull and getting lost behind the bass a bit. Stylistically though, its really not a big deal. My only other gripe was the timing in a few places, the worst of which was the late snare hits between :49-51. Also, I personally would have pulled that last chord on the guitar down a bit as it kind of blasts in and catchs you off guard, unless that was the intention. Anyway, really nice little song. Enjoyed it!

Thanks mate. I agree with both of those issues, but were kind of inevitable due to the quick recording, skills I was lacking at the time, and shoddy playing by the drummer. I was considering fixing some of the drum timing, but didn't make it a priority. I might go back and fix those. I agree with the kick but it wasn't recorded very well and didn't feel like spending hours trying to carve it out, since this isn't a paid mix or anything. I could have done some sidechaining probably and might still do it though.

Back