Suggestions On Studio Monitor Upgrade

CDKC

Hi! :D:cool::D
I'm currently in a dire need of suggestions regarding good studio monitors that have very wide frequency response (Been looking at ADAM A7X; Yamaha HS8). At the moment I'm currently using Fostex PM0.4n's; they're OKAY at best but they're totally resonant and fatty at the absolute worst frequencies. I get by with them though.
I really enjoy creating my own little electronic tracks, they're nothing fancy atm but I really think my quality could be improved with superior monitors. Of course, I'd still be using the Fostex as a good reference in future productions but mainly as a B sound source. Anyways, I could spin-off for hours about production and good shit like that but I really need to hit the sack.
Give me some suggestions on how I should approach this great obstacle and please check out my tracks (feedback's always appreciated!)
Thanks very much,
Chris

Soundcloud URL:
https://soundcloud.com/chriscasey1994

Budget...?

A set of Tyler D4Mx's and a decent amplifier (such as an Emotiva 150W) would put you in a helluva position, but it could set you back a bit... That said, if you're going to "make the jump" on anything, make it on your monitoring chain.

That said, the best speakers in the world are going to be worth a bowl of warm sinus fluid in a bad room -- So if your room isn't in order, figure in the cost of a dozen 2x4(x4") broadband panels and use whatever's left on monitors.

Or just suck it up and do both if you can -- In an industry where you can waste a fortune on all sorts of useless crap that doesn't do you any good at all without a decent chain to hear it, you can't go wrong with sinking a chunk of $$$$ into the most important part of the rig...

The acoustics in my room are SHIT. I have 5 guitars on my wall to the left of my work desk. A Marshall half stack and a fender cyber twin amp. I'm afraid that even if I did get great panels to absorb some sound it wouldn't do me any good. I might have to just resort to mixing on headphones until I get my own place. (Currently live with my parents as a full-time student)
Thanks for your quick reply and advice on sending me in the right direction!
Maybe I should just invest on a great pair of headphones and get new monitors after I have an acoustically sound room to work in.

Make some bass traps as Massive suggested. You can take them with you when you move out. Even with crappy monitors, you'll notice a difference.

Maybe I should just invest on a great pair of headphones and get new monitors after I have an acoustically sound room to work in.
Headphones aren't going to get you anywhere (everyone would use them if they did).

Yeah, bass traps would be great if my (studio) wasn't my bedroom. My hands are tied until I get my own place I guess. Will just have to practice/work with what I do have and try to get studio time at school or wherever. Thanks for your suggestions, I'm afraid they won't work for me in my present situation though. I'll be sure to follow up with them in a few years though.
Thanks,
Chris

You can use bass traps in any room! You make 2'x4'x4" frames, 4" insulation in them, cover with cloth. Hang them from hooks, stack them in the corners. When you move, take them with you.

Back