Suggestions on Room Treatments (cheap)

drummerdoug86

Hey everyone. I've done some reserach on the net and here on the bbs on room treatments and now I hope to get some more personal suggestions. What I'm looking for are cheap solutions. My room is measures about 15 by 18 with hard walls all around and it's carpeted (don't know what kind of carpet, but it's fairly stiff). My room will be used for both recording and practice sessions, so I hope there can a medium that suits both at a fairly average level (dont want to absorb too much). So far I have started to put in some wood shelving as I read this helps diffuse some sound (I think thats right?). Back to the question, do any of you have some cheap methods that I could use to treat my room? As in things laying around the house to be used for absorbtion, diffusion, bass traps, etc?

Thanks.

I've heard some good things about (rigid?) fiberglass. You can mount it on a wall or ceiling and you've got some instant soundproofing. You can even cover it in fabric to make it look nicer.

See the Studio Building and Display forum for more info. ;)

I would add that it's impossible to suggest any room treatments for a room in which we don't know what acoustical problems it actually has and what kind of sound you want it to have. Materials and angles can be suggested for things such as bass trapping, wideband diffusion, high freq absorbtion, soundproofing, etc. But which of these you need (if any), how much of them you need (if any), and where they are all needed (if anywhere) is impossible for anyone on this forum to suggest, no matter what their credentials.

G.

Some good suggestions so far. Stacking the rolls of fiberglass insulation in the corners is a great idea. Big, heavy leather couches and/or futons are good for absorging bass when placed against the wall just opposite your monitors ... so they do serve an accoustic function (beyond just comfy area to sit).

Packing blankets are great. Hang 'em up wherever you need to deaden / tame early reflections. If you're feeling ambitious, get a hold of the Corning 703 fiberglass insulation wedges, cover them with fabric and hang 'em up. How high are your ceilings? If ceilings are low, then you'll probably want to find some way of mounting them to the ceiling.

drummerdoug86 said:
I've done some reserach on the net and here on the bbs on room treatments and now I hope to get some more personal suggestions. What I'm looking for are cheap solutions.
First, read the web page apl recommended above. Second, make a fairly detailed drawing of your room, including door and window locations, ceiling height, immovable obstructions, and all relevant measurements. Third, post the drawing and your question in the Studio Building and Display forum. You will get lots of personalized assistance.

Back