Suggestions for overhead mics and high hat mic?

Coops409

Scanned through 4 pages on this thread and found nothing so I thought I'd ask. Anyone know of any decent sounding, reasonably affordable overhead drum mics and a high hat mic? I'm looking at the MXL 603s for overheads. Found some on eBay for $160.00. Highhat mic I'm clueless at the moment though.

Edit: Studio recording, not live.

I've got several sets of SDCs, some cheap and some very not. I've never gotten a recording using my 603s as overheads that I was happy with. I have had luck with the Audix f15s, though (and they're about the same price, if memory serves). I've never actually used a highhat track in a final mix, so can't help there - I have recorded them (only at a drummer's request these days), the track has just never helped anything in the end.

hth

Don't bother miking the hat, unless you're playing very quiet music and the drummer is a master at getting great dynamics out of it.

I would suggest a matched pair of Rode NT2s. These have cardioid, bi-directional and Omni polarity switching so you can really tailor the mic to suit your room best. For example if you were recording in a great sounding room you might want to choose the Omni pattern so you pick up all the nice natural room reverb or if you were in a smaller tight room then you could set them to cardioid to hone in on the drums only and not pick up the room reverb as much. They have a his pass pad on them also.

G

Look into the Rode NT5s. Matched pair for around $300 on eBay. Great little mics, just position them so they aren't too bright on the cymbals.

It's always hard to give a person the best for cheap quote without knowing which country they live in.

Back