Suggestions for another Mic in my Collection...

WERNER 1

Well the time has come for me to add another mic to my ever growing collection of mic's in my home studio.....

I'm thinking the price range is around 500.00 at this point (Yeah, I know, another "What's the best mic for 500 bucks thread" :( )

I've been reading through threads, and it seems that the application is one of the biggest factors in choosing a mic (that and price :) ) ,,...but I'm still not sure what the best direction is for me to go at this point...

I guess the best thing to do is tell you what I have, and then weigh the feedback on the responses (??) ...

Here goes what I currently have...

SP B1 (x2) - Love these for my personal vocals as well as just about everything else :)

SP B3 - Decent mic, but not a "go to" one by any means..

SP C1 - Good vocal mic for some,...but not for me :( ...to much highend accenting for my likes

Beta 58 (X3) - Live vocal mic thus far plus other misc uses

Beta 57 -

SM57 (X3)

Senn. E609 Original Black Face one (X2) - Like this along with the SM57's and SP B1's for mic'ing guitar and bass cabs

GLS Audio ES58 (X2)- SM58 clone with a different flavor

GLS Audio ES57 - (X2) - SM57 Clone with a different flavor

So that's basically it in the mic dept,.......I don't know if this helps or not, but I'm using a couple of M Audio DMP-3 mic pre's as well as a couple of SP VTB-1 mic pre's

Thanks in advance for your help on this subject :)

Rick

The Heil PR-40 looks nice. I want one of these myself, but it might be a bit under your price range.

Looking at your collection, I don't see any super high quality dynamics. The Shures and the Senn that you have are certainly capable, but something like an EV RE-20, SM7 or the Heil (or maybe a 441 or 421) might give you better options for kick drum, bass amps and vocals, etc.

My $0.02

sl

What are you planning to use it for? A general-purpose mic? Vocals?

Given your existing collection, my leaning would be towards an AT4040, a CAD M9, or a decent ribbon mic of your choosing, but that's just my gut. Without knowing what you plan to do with the mic, it's like trying to shoot a charging bull moose with an unloaded BB gun.

I'm guessing you aren't trying to mic drums. If you are, my vote would be an AKG D112 and a pair of Oktava MK-012 SDCs. Actually, a pair of MK-012 mics or other good SDCs would be a really good choice in general.

Anyway... like I said... bull moose.

Although I don't know if you need/want them or not, I can comment on what you don't appear to have in your collection:

SD mics - for $500 I'd look for a pair of used AT-4051s.
A better LD condenser - used AT-4050, 4047 or Shure KSM-44
An LD Tube mic - used AT-4060 if you can find one at that price
High quality dynamic mic - Shure SM7, RE-20, Beyer M-88, Sennheiser MD441, MD421, MD431
High quality performing condenser - Audix VX-10, Neumann KMS-105, AE5400 (or a used AT-4054 or 4055)
Ribbon mic - Beyer M160, M500 or M260 (depending on what you want to use it for)

I'm not even going near drum mics.:D

Although I don't know if you need/want them or not, I can comment on what you don't appear to have in your collection:

SD mics - for $500 I'd look for a pair of used AT-4051s.
A better LD condenser - used AT-4050, 4047 or Shure KSM-44
An LD Tube mic - used AT-4060 if you can find one at that price
High quality dynamic mic - Shure SM7, RE-20, Beyer M-88, Sennheiser MD441, MD421, MD431
High quality performing condenser - Audix VX-10, Neumann KMS-105, AE5400 (or a used AT-4054 or 4055)
Ribbon mic - Beyer M160, M500 or M260 (depending on what you want to use it for)

I'm not even going near drum mics.:D

YUP! .

Gotta thrid pohaku and Big Kenny. SDCs would be my first stop as you don't have anything like that. However, I might change up the order.

1. SDC
2. Nice LDC
3. Nice dynamic (MD421, SM7, RE20 etc)
4. Ribbon
5. Tube LDC

<slight tangent>
For the bucks I find a good old OM5 to compete very well with most stage condensors. Had a KMS105 for quite some time and I'll be damned if the OM5 didn't sound 95% the same with less feed back head aches.
</slight tangent>

I actually didn't really have an order in mind, although if it was me, I'd get a pair of SD condensers first, followed by a really nice dynamic.

Yeah, I agree that if you have a high volume sound stage, you are better off with a good performing dynamic rather than a condenser. Even a very good condenser. I like the OM-6 myself for that purpose, although I use the VX-10 and the AT-4054 in more moderate venues. The high end performing condensers can be really good if you are recording someone who really does want to hold the mic while they sing, rather than sing into a mic on a stand. You do have a controlled environment in that circumstance.

The $500 range is pretty close to being able to afford a set of Josephsons or Peluso's.

In the LD category, you could be looking at an AT 4050, a used AKG 414, or a Shure KSM 32. For a little more you could consider a RED Type B and have the option to add capsules at a later date.

For ribbons, I would probably save a little longer and get into the $800 to $1000 range and go with something like one of the AEA's. For jsut guitar cabs though, there are a lot of other decent but affordable ribbon mics on the market.

Thanks for all of the responses guys!!!....

I haven't really decided on what application this new mic would entail,...maybe more vocals (??)...

At one point I thought about getting a Shure Beta 87A for my live vocals ....stepping up from the Beta 58...but who knows....

That AT 4050 keeps popping up a lot around here so that's one to consider for sure

I've been real happy with my Recorded Guitar sounds so I don't think I need to add anything to that section at this point...(Same with bass)

I'm not live micing drums at this point as I tried that but didn't like the results...sticking with EZ Drummer for the time being...

So really the only thing that I'll be recording live other than guitars and bass, is Vocals ... So for this 5 minutes, I guess this new mic would be a Vocal mic mostly. Probably for Male vocals. :o

THanks again!

Rick

At one point I thought about getting a Shure Beta 87A for my live vocals ....stepping up from the Beta 58...but who knows....

That AT 4050 keeps popping up a lot around here so that's one to consider for sure

Rick

I have a pair of 4050s and they are indeed work horses. Great mics. I wouldn't bother with a Beta 87 personally. The Audix dynamics (OM5, 6, 7) are a much better value IMO for that use.

The fact that you are using the B1's as vocal mics in the studio while NOT using the C1 because of its hyped upper bump, while liking the Beta58 as a live vocal mic points to a mic that needs a strong mid and low-mid for your voice. Could be the pres but probably not enough to change em..............

I gotta second,third or fourth the LD dynamic as a choice for you at this point in time. The Heil PR40 is about as good as it gets. Think RE20/27, SM7, only with the air and clarity of a fine condenser. And complete versatility. A Sennheiser MD421 is always a good mic to have around. If you shop around you can probably get the Heil for your budget and have some change left over for a Kel HM1. Now I know you like the guitar sound and by the mics you use I have a very good idea what you're listening to.....Consider this sound with a bit more depth and clarity. The 609 with the Kel as the condenser mic is something to hear.

I acutally know Bob Heil personally,...so I guess I should go talk to him ....I totally forgot about his mic's :o ....that'd be a nice place to start :)

I'll typically record my guitar cabs with a B1 and an SM57 or e609 (Double mic on sep. tracks..) That seems to work quite well ;)

Thanks,
Rick

WOW, next thing you know someone will tell us that a good mic pre-amp will cost over $1000!

The nerve of some people!
Yeah!:mad:

some people are morons rolled into an idiot:D

Oh how I wish I had the money to blow on a thousand dollar Microphone and a thousand dollar Pre amp... Just think how much better my singing voice would be with that kind of equipment:rolleyes:

:D

I acutally know Bob Heil personally,...so I guess I should go talk to him ....I totally forgot about his mic's :o ....that'd be a nice place to start :)

I'll typically record my guitar cabs with a B1 and an SM57 or e609 (Double mic on sep. tracks..) That seems to work quite well ;)

Thanks,
Rick

Well, jeez, go talk to Bob! I mean really. That's a really good place to start given that you know him.

If you want an upgraded performing vocal mic on the cheap, see if you can snag an AT-4054 on e-bay. It uses the same capsule as the AT-4050, but in a handheld body. It has built in roll-off. The AT-4055, was similar but with no roll-off. They were both replaced a couple years ago by the AE5400 - which, surprise, has a roll-off switch. As a result, you can pick them up for @$150 or so on e-bay. A true bargain for a high quality performing condenser mic that is also suitable for recording. I buy them every chance I see them. Make great holiday gifts.:D

Back