Suggestions for analog mix-down equipment?

batterista

I've got a Tascam 388 and ProTech in Silver Spring MD just got the belt delivered which they're replacing. Unfortunately, the transport in my Audio Technica AT-RMX64 (which I was planning on using to mix down to 2-track stereo) is messed up and the part(s) are no longer available.

I'm looking for high-quality yet inexpensive options for mixing down from the Studio 8... and keeping it analog.

I could try to find the part online (they haven't told me exactly what it needs yet...engineer wasn't in).

I could use my old Tandberg TCD-420A Cassette Deck to mix down to, but it's a bit squirrelly lately... eating tape. Needs some love and maintenance.

What's popular around here for mixing down?

I'd go with a 2-track reel to reel.

Tascam 22
Tascam 32
Tascam 42

Otari MX5050
Otari MX55

These are some options. Most can be had in the $150-$500 range. Otaris will probably run steeper.

Thanks Beagle

One of these options looks good. Trying to figure out which one uses the same reels as the Studio 8. 7" 1/4 inch reels, 40 minutes.

I'll probably go w/ the Tandberg until I find a Tascam 22/32/42 to buy. Saw one on Ebay for $300...slightly pricey...but the idea of staying w/ reels through the mixdown is sexy.

One of these options looks good. Trying to figure out which one uses the same reels as the Studio 8. 7" 1/4 inch reels, 40 minutes.

I'll probably go w/ the Tandberg until I find a Tascam 22/32/42 to buy. Saw one on Ebay for $300...slightly pricey...but the idea of staying w/ reels through the mixdown is sexy.

I know all of them use 1/4" tape, and I'm pretty sure they'll all accept 7" reels as well as 10 1/2", but someone else would know for sure.

Back