Suddenly Midi won't record or play through...

BxD

For some reason, my setup lost its ability to record Midi in Cubase 7.5. I see the signal in the transport panel when I hit a key, but no audio. Then when I hit a key on the instrument's virtual keyboard, I hear audio but no midi signal. Both ways, nothing records. Tried with halion and retrologue -- same result.

Running 64bit Win 8.1 -- and for the life of me, I can't figure out what changed. It worked in that configuration a week or so ago.

Swapped out cables, instruments, configurations, and everything I could think.

Any other ideas, before uninstalling 7.5 and reverting again to 7.0? I think it started when I uninstalled 7.0 a week after the upgrade -- as the crappy install program left a ton still there.

Reconnect at the midi or instrument track. Just set the midi input on the instrument/midi track to your midi device.

Make sure the midi/instrument track is armed or the speaker (monitor button) icon is lit up on the track.

Hopefully that was clear. :)

If you see midi signal in the transport window then one of these is most likely the solution.

Nope -- same result. Not sure what you meant by "reconnect" -- I've disconnected and reconnected numerous times, tried old projects, etc.

I know you can see the MIDI activity, in the transport, but apparently there's a MIDI reset button at the bottom of one of the menus - [most likely the MIDI menu].

Just shootin' in the dark here, but can you locate & try that?

If for no other reason, just to rule it out.

I have no troubles like that from installing 7.5 just a few weeks ago, but I didn't uninstall 7.0.6 either. Now I think I'll just leave it there, after reading this.

I'm pretty good at MIDI - but I wish I could offer more.

I got it to work by resetting every setting even remotely Midi related in Preferences to default, and using system restore to reinstall 7.06. Don't know which exact setting or the system restore did the trick, but it works now.

That wasn't fun at all....

I got it to work by resetting every setting even remotely Midi related in Preferences to default, and using system restore to reinstall 7.06. Don't know which exact setting or the system restore did the trick, but it works now.

That wasn't fun at all....
Good to see you got it working. Shame you had to go through all that.

For what little time it takes, I would actually reinstall at least 7.5 and leave 7.0.6 in this time.

Myself, as much as system restore works, I'm kind of skeptical about things like that, so I'm the type who would uninstall & reinstall both 7.0.6 & 7.5 and leave them both and try it again.

But that's just me. Some would think that's either not worth the time or a waste of time and a gamble as well.

If it's working for you, maybe best to just leave it be. :rolleyes:

Back