Subsititue hi-hat chain

Creep

Milk It
Substitute hi-hat chain

Hi guys,

Here's my issue. I'm not a serious drummer - I bought a crappy 200 kit off a friend, just to use for recording as I'm a guitarist. Although, this kit he had no chain from the hi-hat pedal. So at the moment I'm stuck with the hi-hat being always shut, but not tightly shut. This doesn't bother me too much, and if I can't solve this problem it's not going to be a big deal. But worth a try.

Anyway, I'm not doing too well in the money department, so buying a completely new stand is out of the equation (which I don't want to do anyway as the stand is perfectly fine) and I was wondering if there is any means of D.I.Y or household substitute for the hi-hat chain.

Cheers in advances for replies,

- creep

Last edited:
without knowing the model of the stand it would be difficult to say. fitting a new chain could be very difficult. If this kit just stays at home (ie doesn't get moved around too much) you could try using some sturdy chord. It won't be as durabe as chain, but you can simply tie it off at each end, so it should be easier to fit.

Is there a difference between hi-hat chain and bicycle chain? You could probably get some of that pretty cheap.

Thanks for your replies guys.

@Powelly: Nope - it doesn't get moved around at all. In fact it hasn't moved in about a year :P I'll look into that. I was thinking of doing that before but figured it might be considered a 'rookie mistake'.

@VomitHatSteve: Didn't think of that - I've actually got a couple of old bikes lying around. I'll try that out, cheers!

I've broken kevlar straps on the hi hat while giging and used a couple plastic tie wraps as a temporary fix.

Back