Sub with different brand monitors?

Whyte Ice

The Next Vanilla Ice
I recently purchased a pair of Wharfedale 8.2 Diamond Pro Active Monitors to use as an alternate pair of monitors beside my M-Audio BX5s with SBX subwoofer. After a few days of listening to the Wharfedales, I think they sound a lot better than my BX5 speakers and would like to connect those to my M-Audio SBX Subwoofer. Would I be able to do this? Is it recommended to mix two different brands together?

One thing I'm concerned about is if the crossover settings on my subwoofer would still work if I hooked up the Wharfedales?

Hopefully someone can help me out, it'd be greatly appreciated.

I use my SBX w/ Event monitors. No problems at all here. I just turned the cross over by ear, and have it set at about 80hz. It works great.

I always reccomend getting the same brand if possible, unless you really know what you are doing. Integrating a sub properly is not as easy as a lot of people think. However, in your case, I am not sure that Wharfedale has a sub available that is designed to go with the speakers you have which makes that a moot point. Do some reading on integrating your sub as far as crossover frequency and spl goes. The first thing that I almost always notice is that when people add subs to their monitors they almost always have them WAY to hot in balance with the tops. This can cause as much if not more damage to your mixes than not using a sub.

What I did with mine when I first hooked it up was play a bunch of cds that I know every beat and chord to and listened real carefully to set the gain and the crossover so that those cds sound as best as they possibly can. Then within the last year of having my sub I just make sure to test my mixes on other systems, and I'm noticing that the translation is right on. Much better than when I didn't have a sub and my mixes were ALWAYS way too bass heavy on other playback systems.

Back