Sub $250 mic preamp, what would you recommend?

Mr songwriter said:
Yes, I'm very much leaning towards the DMP3 from Thomann at the moment, assuming there aren't any hidden costs I have to think about. Thanks, people.
Check if they can supply a 3 pin UK plug. If not then you might have to buy an adapter but you can get those for a couple of quid. The voltage is the same though so you don't have to worry about that.

Sound-wise, i think DMP3 and VTB1 are the same. I prefer DMP3 because it has an on/off button, whereas the VTB1 does not; you'd have to unplug the VTB1's power cable to turn it off. In addition, DMP3 has fewer knobs and buttons to confuse me =)

For a noticeable sound difference from the two clean pres above in your price range, try Electro-Harmonix 12ay7.

I dont think my VTB1 has ever worked quite right, considering I have to use lots of gain for any mic. Like 40 or 50db... I even sent it in to Studio Projects and they sent it right back saying it was fine...

So DMP3 every time. I should have gotten one, atleast I would have had two channels of something that sounded decent instead of one that doesnt sound that great, has no on/off switch. The tube blend feature is not completely useless, but totaly expendable.

Rocket Boy said:
I dont think my VTB1 has ever worked quite right, considering I have to use lots of gain for any mic. Like 40 or 50db... I even sent it in to Studio Projects and they sent it right back saying it was fine...

What's "any mic"? I never had gain issues with my VTB-1. What was the gain structure of your entire system? What was your signal chain?

So DMP3 every time. I should have gotten one, atleast I would have had two channels of something that sounded decent instead of one that doesnt sound that great, has no on/off switch. The tube blend feature is not completely useless, but totaly expendable.

I think that the DMP3 and VTB-1 sound very similar. I don't agree that the VTB-1 doesn't sound great. Guess it depends what great means to everyone. Both units will provide for very usable tracks if used correctly in a system that is setup correctly.

warble2 said:
What's "any mic"? I never had gain issues with my VTB-1. What was the gain structure of your entire system? What was your signal chain?

I think that the DMP3 and VTB-1 sound very similar. I don't agree that the VTB-1 doesn't sound great. Guess it depends what great means to everyone. Both units will provide for very usable tracks if used correctly in a system that is setup correctly.

It sounds fine. Mine is messed up and I dont want to pay to ship it to them again. I dont think it's better than a DMP3, which is cheaper.

Kevin DeSchwazi said:
Check if they can supply a 3 pin UK plug. If not then you might have to buy an adapter but you can get those for a couple of quid. The voltage is the same though so you don't have to worry about that.

Oh thanks, I'll have to check that out.

Back