Stuttering playback after recording multi-track

BudBrain

Hi,

Myself and a number of friends have various recording programs (cubase/acid/ntrack) and we've all had the same problems when recording:

Basically, when there are multiple tracks - after about a minute of so the recording starts stuttering/jumping/crackling.

My PC is built for gaming, has a sound blaster audigy sound card, 7200rtm HDD and 8gb memory but it still happens.

Any ideas where we're all going wrong?

Sorry if this is a n00b question - none of us are experts in home recording but we'd like to at least record full tracks. :rolleyes:

Hi,

Myself and a number of friends have various recording programs (cubase/acid/ntrack) and we've all had the same problems when recording:

Basically, when there are multiple tracks - after about a minute of so the recording starts stuttering/jumping/crackling.

My PC is built for gaming, has a sound blaster audigy sound card, 7200rtm HDD and 8gb memory but it still happens.

Any ideas where we're all going wrong?

Sorry if this is a n00b question - none of us are experts in home recording but we'd like to at least record full tracks. :rolleyes:

I think I highlighted your problem. You're not using any external audio interface?

Not sure what you mean exactly. My guitar/bass is going through a 4 channel mixer and drum tracks are made with fruity loops.

Not sure what you mean exactly. My guitar/bass is going through a 4 channel mixer and drum tracks are made with fruity loops.

I meant that I think your audio stuttering is the result of using a shit soundcard. I was wondering if you had tried using an external interface to convert your audio to digital in order to go to the computer. Something like THIS for example?

Thanks Chris - I'll take a look, might need something cheaper though!

If it was the sound card, would it not start stuttering/crackling at the very start? It only seems to be when the track is getting more complicated - or is that where the above comes in? As in, the computer is having to convert analogue to digital and just can't cope when it's playing back multiple track and trying to record at the same time?

Back