Stupid Question on File Types

I always wondered that also as I've used AIFF and SD II files to burn discs. Like the other folks said as long as it is uncompressed 16/44.1 you should be good to go evidently. As I understand it AIFF, WAV and SDII - and probably Ogg Vorbis and others - are just different ways of doing the same thing. An analogy: a Craftsman 1/4" box end wrench and a SnapOn 1/4" box end wrench both - hopefully - do the same thing either tightening or loosening 1/4" bolts and/or nuts. Different names; same end results.

Isn't there a bigger difference in burning a CD-R that's Red Book as opposed to a normal CD-R that's non Red Book? PQ codes and the like.

ok......here we go......big breath.....

you guys made me do this.....lol.

but first!!!!!!!!!!!

Home recording for musicians...."for dummies" by jeff strong is an invaluable information source............anyway....here we go..........

Page 324 para. 3 states

"Mp3 is a process that compresses your music so that it takes up less hardrive space. Data compression is necessary for Mp3's to work. A regular CD music file can take up 30 to 40 MB (about 10MB per minute). That same song can take up only 3-4 MB in MP3 format. This is important becuase, if youre going to do any promoting of your music on the internet, a 30-40 MB file is way too big to download or to stream on the web (even for people with broadband internet connections). For example, dialup users with a 56-KBps modem would have to wait more than two hours to download a 40 MB file!!!!! I dont know about you, but i dont know anyone who is willing to wait that long to hear a piece of music.

ALSOOOO

page 325..............qoute "what do you mean near CD quality?"

paragraph 2

The difference between a song on a CD and a song thats near CD Quality is like the difference between playing a CD in your car and then hearing the same song on the radio. You lose some high end and the bass is thinner. You may even lose the stereo image, depending on the conversion mode you choose, and you DEFINETLY LOSE SOME OF THE DYNAMIC RANGE. Overall the song has a little less life to it.

jeff strong.....the author of "Home recording for Musicians for dummies is the author of seven books....including Pro tools all in one desk reference for dummies and Pc recording studios for dummies.........Jeff strong graduated from the percussion institute of technoogy at the musicians institute in los angeles in 1983 and has either worked in or owned a recording studio since 1985.

WOOT WOOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cock+sucker.bmp

you guys made me do this.....lol.

but first!!!!!!!!!!!

Home recording for musicians...."for dummies" by jeff strong is an invaluable information source............anyway....here we go..........

Page 324 para. 3 states

"Mp3 is a process that compresses your music so that it takes up less hardrive space. Data compression is necessary for Mp3's to work. A regular CD music file can take up 30 to 40 MB (about 10MB per minute). That same song can take up only 3-4 MB in MP3 format. This is important becuase, if youre going to do any promoting of your music on the internet, a 30-40 MB file is way too big to download or to stream on the web (even for people with broadband internet connections). For example, dialup users with a 56-KBps modem would have to wait more than two hours to download a 40 MB file!!!!! I dont know about you, but i dont know anyone who is willing to wait that long to hear a piece of music.

ALSOOOO

page 325..............qoute "what do you mean near CD quality?"

paragraph 2

The difference between a song on a CD and a song thats near CD Quality is like the difference between playing a CD in your car and then hearing the same song on the radio. You lose some high end and the bass is thinner. You may even lose the stereo image, depending on the conversion mode you choose, and you DEFINETLY LOSE SOME OF THE DYNAMIC RANGE. Overall the song has a little less life to it.

jeff strong.....the author of "Home recording for Musicians for dummies is the author of seven books....including Pro tools all in one desk reference for dummies and Pc recording studios for dummies.........Jeff strong graduated from the percussion institute of technoogy at the musicians institute in los angeles in 1983 and has either worked in or owned a recording studio since 1985.

WOOT WOOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'd bet with a decent vbr mp3 encoder, you wont notice any difference in dynamic range from wav to 192 kbs...

It's an interesting question and one I feel I should know the anwer to.

I guess most of the music I have in mp3 format probably didn't have enough dynamic range to begin with for me to ever notice it in the compressed format, what with all the terrible-sounding cymbals and inexplicably weakened bass end. :confused:

Can we get an official ruling on this from someone/somewhere that knows how the compression process works relating to bit depth?

well from someone who doesn't know what he's talking about, here goes:

an mp3 encoder basically uses the premise that that are certain things in music that the human ear cannot hear or distinguish, so it is programmed to filter those things out..

with mp3s, its typical for me to notice a washy high end (cymbals), maybe some low end loss.some of you have reported the stereo image getting a bit wacky..but Ive yet to hear the dynamics of a song affected a noticable amout..

Back