Stupid question about balanced/unbalanced lines

BDeetz

Is there any other reason for having balanced lines beside not picking up noise with long cables? What length should you start thinking of using balanced lines?

-BDeetz

The good book of audio says....

25 feet.

I say 20 feet.

No other benefit except that some equipment will not run at +4 operating level except through balanced lines. Some does though.

Ed

No, lack of noise is pretty much the whole reason for going balanced... you can run any length you need to - the advantages are the same long or short....

Bruce Valeriani
Blue Bear Sound

The good book of audio?

Okey dokey, you referring to any book in particular?

I believe I've also read that one unbalanced cable in your "chain" of equipment will unbalance the entire chain. Therefore you shouldn't consider balanced only for your "long" cable runs, or you're just wasting your money. (Don't know if that came from the same book as yours, Ed)

dachay2tnr said:
I believe I've also read that one unbalanced cable in your "chain" of equipment will unbalance the entire chain. Therefore you shouldn't consider balanced only for your "long" cable runs, or you're just wasting your money. (Don't know if that came from the same book as yours, Ed)

True enough... if you wire into a patch bay - you want the PB to be balanced as well, otherwise you lose the entire advantage....

Bruce Valeriani
Blue Bear Sound

PS... I re-wrote the book Ed mentioned!!! :) :) :)

Well, actually, that is not true...

ANY gear that is outputting a balanced signal is balanced. It may not be balanced BEFORE it's output, but it becomes balanced at it's output. That is why there is either a:

1- Transformer at the output
2- Electronically balanced circuit at the output

Now, not all gear can take an unbalanced feed to it's input and pass it to the balanced output. You will know if this is the case if it doesn't work....:) Really. A sound system I work on all the time actually uses a unbalanced feed from the console to the eq, but a balanced feed from the eq, down 200' of wire to the amps. Works like a charm! :)

I have seen no evidence of short balanced runs sounding any "cleaner" or less "noisier" then a short unbalanced run. In fact, I have many processors in my rack that are running +4 unbalanced in the studio here.

The "book" I mention is just about any practical life experience I have had with wiring systems together (very extensive book in this case :) ). Others may feel free to write there own book and publish it on here, but it doesn't change the validity of mine (which tends to be very accurate :)).

Ed

But Ed... in my example of patchbays... for a 'standard' PB config where my tape outs are normalled to my console tape ins, the PB must have balanced connectors to maintain the "integrity" of the balanced signal. If I ran it to an unbalanced PB, then I lose the advantage of phase-cancelled induced noise from the point I unbalanced it onward...

I too have some unbalanced +4 signal lines in my rig, and I must admit to not having noise problems, but the lines are less than 15 ft... however, I agree with Ed's 20' length as a reasonable "compromise" point.

Bear

Yes, you are right duder! :)

Read my post really carefully. It only stays unbalanced until it reaches the next devices output. Yes, you can make a balanced output into a unbalenced input simply by combining the two hot leads at the input of the unbalanced device. But, if you come out of the output balanced, it is balanced again. This was in relation to dachay2tnr's post.

Peace....:)

Ed

There is another difference not mentioned here and that is -
In a balanced cable the amplitude is doubled - more energy.

Some people would see this as an advantage.

Righto.....but....

But that only is so that the signal can be pushed for long runs. Fidelity wise, at short runs, I was reading some stuff that suggested that unbalanced lines actually are clearer sounding. Even ol' Bob Katz wrote something about this I believe over at http://www.digido.com . I think it was in the FAQ section.

Ed

Back