Stupid P100 question

Neil Ogilvie

Still Learning.......
I currently have an SG Junior with a P90 on the bridge. I love the tone I get, although I sometimes find it a *little* muddy. More importantly, it does tend to hum a lot.

I was thinking of changing the P90 for a humbucker with a little more bite to it, something like a Seymour Duncan Invader. Then a mate of mine said that the P100's are just Humbucking versions of P90's, stacked.

What sort of sound difference will a P100 be from a P90? Will I be better off with an Invader? I'm currently running though a POD into a PA or DAW.

Cheers,

Neil

Well, I'd much sooner take the P100 than the Invader... why don't you try out your friend's axe and see if you like what you hear?

I think the P-100's are supposed to sound pretty close to P-90's. If you find the P-90's a little muddy, I wonder if you might have an issue in your amp or signal chain somewhere. You might need to retube your amp if its got tubes, or maybe turn down the gain a little. You might also try using a 7-band EQ pedal. I take the 200hz slider down a little on a humbucker guitar which cleans up a lot of muddiness, and I bring down the volume slider a fair amount so that the hotter signal from the 'buckers doesn't saturate the pre-amp stage.
What amp, effects are you using?
Do you keep the volume rolled down a little on the guitar? Seems like single coils lose more of their brightness from doing this than humbucks do.

I have a LP junior Lite that has two P-100s and I don't think they are muddy. And they definitly don't hum alot. I'd think getting the single coil P-90 would hum much more then the humbucker P-100.

I think I will most probably go for the P100 over the Invader.

So a P100 is just a humbucker, but stacked yeah?

And what is it about P90's that mark them out from standard single coils pickups? They sound so different. Its uncanny.

Cheers for the input everyone.

Neil

Back