Stupid newb questions here :)

gypsyblues73

I'm looking to get a decent home recording setup (mostly multi-track/hardware vs. PC-based interface), and I've been looking at a lot of BOSS, Tascam, and Fostex stuff mainly, and mostly 8-tracks. I'll probably just be recording myself, at least for the short-term, playing guitar tracks, singing, playing bass, and using a drum machine. However, I like to layer a lot of stuff in songs and do multiple parts, add sound effects/noises, etc., so this seems to be the biggest concern I have: how many tracks can I actually record with an 8-track? I see the term "X virtual tracks" in some multi-track recorder's descriptions, and think "Wow, 64 virtual tracks is waaaay more than I would ever use!" But is this just a fancy term to describe what most any multi-track recorder can do by bouncing tracks and whatnot? Or what is the "real" limit on most of them?

The difference is that when you have virtual tracks, you can bounce from them, and not have to record over them to use the track 'again'. For example, record on tracks 1-1 through 6-1 (the - number refers to the virtual bank #), bounce them down to tracks 7-1 and 8-1,

Then record on tracks 1-2 to 6-2, bounce those PLUS 7-1 and 8-1 to 7-2 and 8-2. Keep going ... Oh, wait a minute, you want to boost the volume up on track 1-1, its too low in the mix now that you've added all the other stuff. GO back, re-do your original bounce (now recording tracks 1-1 to 6-1 to tracks 7-3 and 8-3) etc. On a traditional 8 track, track 1 is gone when you boucne from it, then record a new track on it.

Ahh okay, so it is a thing limited to only certain recorders then. The Boss BR-800, BR-864, Zoom HD16CD, and the Tascam Neo have that feature. So that may be what I'm looking for, as far as having nearly unlimited tracks to add all kinds of musical parts?

One thing to remember about virtual tracks is that you will have to bounce them down as mjbphotos described if you want to use more than 8 tracks (or however many tracks the hardware recorder provides.) The hardware can only playback a limited number simultaneously.

A PC audio interface doesn't limit you that way. It only limits how many tracks you can record simultaneously. The number of tracks you can play back is only limited by how powerful your computer is. (Although there are some lite versions of recording software that will limit the number you can play back. But this is basically a tactic to encourage you to upgrade.)

A 8 track recorder can only PLAYBACK 8 tracks at a t time - you might have 64 tracks available with your virtual tracks but it's a massive exercise in bouncing down and controlling what you have, especially with the crappy visual interfaces that these things tend to have.

If you're want to do what you're suggesting, and must have a standalone, go 16 tracks at least - it will make your life so much easier. Virtual tracks are useful, but honestly, not so much for what you're planning.

I've been recording for about 15 - 20 years now and all on standalone recorders, but if I was starting out today, I wouldn't get a standalone, I would go the PC recording route, which is what I plan to do some time soon. No track limitations, apart from what your PC can handle.

Right now, especially in light of what you guys are telling me, I'm leaning towards the Tascam 2488 Neo. It has 250 virtual tracks, and can playback 24 tracks, if I'm understanding it right. "Playback" just simply means playing all of the recorded tracks at once to mix them into the final product, correct?

Right now, especially in light of what you guys are telling me, I'm leaning towards the Tascam 2488 Neo. It has 250 virtual tracks, and can playback 24 tracks, if I'm understanding it right. "Playback" just simply means playing all of the recorded tracks at once to mix them into the final product, correct?
Correct.

Back