stupid mixing question - levels

Roger Mac

Ok, I'll allow extra time before expecting a response so you can finish laughing first.

When mixing down, do you want the input levels as close to zero as possible and the Master Output level lowered to a minus level to avoid clipping?

OR do you want the Master Output close to zero and the input levels adjusted negative to avoid clipping?

Does either way really make a difference?

Thanks guys.

In my opinion i would just try to get the master output as close to 0 as possible while having decent levels on your single tracks also. Using a limiter at say 0dB can be good. But if using a limiter you have to be carefull that you aren't pushing the master volume too much cause remember the limiter will cut any of the signal above 0dB and you could loose alot of the dynamics of your recording.

Trying to get as close to 0dB obviously gives you a stronger signal and bigger amplitude and greater dynamic range, so in the world of digital this means that you should get a better quality sound (maybe not that noticeable to the ears) as even thougt the step sizes between samples will still be the same (cause you are sampling at same rate) the lowest significant bit will be of a smaller percentage of the whole amplitude of the wave so you wont loose the quieter parts of the wave. (oh are you using digital?, kinda just expected sory)

First let me start off by saying it depends on what you want to do with it. If it is something that you are doing for someone else that you know isn't serious with there music then yes mix it to get the levels as close to 0 without clipping but if it is a mix that you know someone will want to get mastered mix it to around -6 or -4db that way you will give the mastering engineer some headroom so he can do his eq, compression, etc. and the thing you want to do is try not to over compress it yourself and try not to ride the master fader try to mix the vocals and the track around that level and it's ok to tweak the master fader. for example you don't want to mix the song to where it hits -1db and then turn the master fader down to where it hits -6 because that in a way is limiting it. Like I said you can ride the fader some but don't depend on it.

Are you mixing on an analog board, digital board or in the computer. On an analog board, it is best to have all the trims set so that the faders are somewhere around unity when everything is mixed.
On a vs-2480 and other such things, turning down the master bus will not stop clipping, it will just turn down the volume of the clipped master bus. This would be the same on any digital mixer with a 24 bit fixed mix bus.
In the computer, it depends on the software.

If your mixing ITB you would adjust the volume of all the individual tracks and leave the master output @ 0

Back