Stupid Mix Tricks

dean1964

Hey folks,

Stupid Mix trick = a mix technique or other tool that is completely useless and will sound horrid except for in 1/10,000 mixes. However, for that one mix, the trick was perfect, and the most devastatingly important decision in the mix process.

I thought it might be fun if we shared some of these gems. I'll get us going...

For a lead vocal, use an alternate take to drive the vocal reverb. The reverb will be de-correlated from the lead vocal track.

who's got another?

Speaking of reverb. A trick I've used once was to use the stereo widener/pitch thing that they've used off of an Eventide Harmonizer FX, which is basically you slightly pitch up one channel, pitch down the other channel, then delay each by small and different amounts. This also has a way of disconnecting the reverb from the source, filling in the stereo field, yet opening up space in the middle. Gotta be careful with the settings though if you want to be mindful of mono compatibility.

Hey folks,

Stupid Mix trick = a mix technique or other tool that is completely useless and will sound horrid except for in 1/10,000 mixes. However, for that one mix, the trick was perfect, and the most devastatingly important decision in the mix process.

I thought it might be fun if we shared some of these gems. I'll get us going...

For a lead vocal, use an alternate take to drive the vocal reverb. The reverb will be de-correlated from the lead vocal track.

who's got another?

1) Getting a singer to sing through a "digareedoo" (butchered that) to get the perfect telephone/megaphone effect. Sounds F-in awesome :D

2) Mixing through a worn and torn beringer mixer for "on purpose lo-fi".

It's amazing how fast and easily a Berry can "prostitute" a mix. :D

Hey folks,

who's got another?

Did something like this once on a guitar solo, had the solo we picked for the song dry and another completely different solo (we were going to throw out) was put through the reverb with the reverb signal only not the dry signal going to the mix. It was a slow song and it caused the solo to be very erie and fitted perfectly with some notes almost having a reverse reverb effect.

Another song I used 1 version of a solo normally with a reversed version of a second solo mixed with it however panned left and right. This was a faster solo and it was also very interesting.

Cheers
Alan.

Back