Stupid Mic Question About Patterns.

Sydfan

Ok, I will freely admit that I have no idea what I am doing, so here is my question. I am using SM81's as overhead mics for drums, on a concrete floor with the drums on a small carpet. The room is about 10X20....concrete walls and an old fiberboard ceiling. SM81's have three patterns to choose from.

This: -
This: -\
This: -l

I hope you can tell what they are actually supposed to look like. Sorry for the crude graphics. Which one should I use, and also, should it be set on -10 or on 0. I'm very sorry for my stupidity, and I hope one of you can bail me out! Thanks!

I'm not positive as its been a while since i've used a pair of those, but i'm pretty sure those are bass rolloff selections, not pickup patterns, i believe the sm81's are always cardoid

so, if i'm right, then:

-- no rolloff
-\ light rolloff
-| steep rolloff

the 0 / -10 selection is a volume pad, if the signal going into the board seems too hot, set it to -10

Start with this: -
If that sucks... try the others... if it still sucks, acoustically treat the room.

Yup.. I'm using two of these for drum overheads as well. I'm at work so I don't have the manuals here.. but I think..

The first setting is no bass rolloff.
Second is 6db/octave under 100hz.
Third is 18db/octave under.. 60hz.

These numbers are probably a bit off.. you should be able to find the user manual in pdf form at www.shure.com

Back