Stupid ignoramus newbie question for you keyboard people...

WATYF

...happier than you.
Hey there, you keyboard people... I'm looking for some help.

I need to buy a keyboard (for someone), and I have a few requirements.

I just want something simple that has a good piano sound and maybe a few other decent sounds.

I need something that can be upgraded with better sounds later. (through whatever means you keyboard people use to add new sounds to your keyboards. :P)

And I need it to be weighted.

That's about it...

Now for the stupid newbie question....

Is it possible to get that for less than 500 bucks?

:eek:

I don't mind buying used... eBay is my friend. :) I just need some direction on a few keyboards to check out that are in my range and that have what I'm looking for.

Any help is much appreciated.

WATYF

lol... that would be real money. :p

Just for some background... my brother has a Yamaha P-80 and I think the piano sound is great. The other sounds aren't that hot, but they're OK. Anyway... that's exactly what I'm looking for (as long as you can "upgrade" it later), but the P-80 is out of my price-range, so I'm wondering if there's something else like that out there.

WATYF

Cool... I'll check that out.

Another thing... I noticed that was a "stage" piano. (not sure if there's really any difference) But anyway... this is just for use in my home studio. I don't really need anything extra "sturdy". It's never gonna leave the house.

WATYF

"stage" piano

I think that means it doesn't have a built-in amplifier and speakers.

oh yeah... and 88 keys would be nice.

(although, I know I'm narrowing my choices even more :( )

WATYF

Just for the record, I have no experience with the Kurzweil digital pianos — I was simply trying to help you find something that fits your requirements. (I'm a Roland fan myself!) I personally would not buy a keyboard that I hadn't actually played, unless the return policy was really good (as is Zzounds', in my opinion).

Thanks.. I'll check that too. And I plan on trying out anything before I buy it.

btw... what about an Alesis QS8? I've been given a recommendation on it... and I can find one for 500-ish used.

WATYF

I have no experience whatsoever with Alesis keyboards, but the specs on that one look pretty good to me.

Back