Stupid HD recorders...

happy hour

Its really making me mad that no HD recorder out there for less that $2000 has XLR inputs, would these not make sense seeing how most people use a microphone at one point in their recording experience?

Can anyone recomend an HD multitracker for around $1200 amercian list that has XLR inputs? cuz right now it seems the only digital multitrack out there at that price is the MD8 and it doesn't have digital outs... ARGHHHH!!!!!!

Mike

I know what you mean. It's almost like the standalone guys EXPECT you to mic through outboard pres and channel strips rather than using the box's onboard pres. How much more would it cost to have the choice of XLR or 1/4" for each channel?

I know man, it seems as though the companies that make these so-called 'all in one' boxes really aren't thinking about what the people that are gonna use them need. I sure as hell do not want to go buy mic preamps for all the channels just so that i can get phantom power and a decent sounding mic sound....

Yo Happy Hour: [that is my very favorite time of the day]

The Fostex VM88 offers balanced inputs on all channels plus more @600 pezzutos.

Looks like the Korg D16 also has a couple of XLR ins, plus all the other stuff and it can be had for around 1200 pezzutos depending where you call.

But, check with the other info on this site. It's not too bad using an outboard mic pre unless you are running 8 mics for a project. I avoid that in my rather quiet studio.

Green Hornet

my Akai has two xlr inputs, but eight preamps. Doesn't make sense to me either. I think that, even though every on-board pre I've heard was pretty crappy, it would be nice to have xlr connections just for the balanced outs from my external preamps.

im confused (again)....

Your Akai has preamps on 1/4" jacks? does that mean that if I had a mic that didn't need phantom power I could make a cable with an XLR end and a 1/4" end and it would work?

The inputs on your Akai aren't balanced?

I realize that some HD recorders have XLR inputs, they're just a little over my budget (about $1200-$1500 CDN).

happy hour - Inputs 1&2 have both XLR and 1/4" connections and phantom power. Inputs 3-8 have 1/4" connections and automatically switch from balanced to unbalanced when needed. All of these have preamps.:)

It seems that with any decent(and not-so-decent) multitrack recorders you are expected to use outboard pre's. If somebody came out with a 16 tracker with 16 studio quality preamps with a full featured mixer it would be WAY to expensive for most homerecordists:D

Back