stupid beat question

Pirateking

OK I've been writing and recording music for about 10 years, but more rock type stuff. I like hip-hop and other beat-based music (sounds stupid) but haven't really tried to write any. So I have a question: if a producer is making a track for someone to rap over, do they pretty much put together a full-length instrumental track, which the rapper then adapts his/her lines to fit, and the producer just adds some finishing touches to accentuate certain parts? Or does the producer have a couple of measures of the track for the rapper to use as a reference, the rapper writes his/her lyrics, and the producer loops the reference track the correct number of times to match the lyrics? I guess my main question is who adapts their part to fit the others'? I mean, my guess would be sometimes one, sometimes the other, but is there any kind of industry standard?

When I produce something for somebody else, I just send them the main loop and they write their thing and then I adjust everything and add fills and switch-ups. Most likely the writer is paying the producer so the producer is the one who adjusts.

-Springfield

the way described by NickSpringfield is probably the standard which i use
i record the beat (4 to 12 measures) for about 7 minutes and then record the vocal (for reference)
then proceed with the decapitation and inserts

but with standard not meaning the norm, you can always determine how many parts the song will have
how long they will be , how many choruses, patterns .... and have the writer fill in (most of us started by writing on other artists' intrumentals)

Easy

I usually do it the way that Atillah described. Which is basically the same way that The Black Spy and NickSpringfield said.

So............. I give the tracks out both ways. ;)

Atillah said:
I produce hiphop instrumentals for myself to rap over(http://www.nowhereradio.com/defcon5productions/singles)

I usually do it like this:
16 bars(for verse)
4-8 bars(hook or chorus)
16 bars(verse)
4-8 bars(hook)
16 bars(verse)
4-8 bars at the beginning or end to talk shit, give shouts, anything.

And apply change-ups and break-downs acordingly!!

Peace!!!!!!!!!!

I also go about it like this....But if you produce and work witta artists.Just for your artists will know.have him understand the simple concept of how bars work....8-16....When I work with my artists..I'll give them the beat that goes on-n-on for maybe lets say 10-20 minutes.The artists writes his verse for 8-16 bars.go with hooks 4-8 bars..Shit.I shoulda just agreed with Attilah....Me and the artists will apply change ups and breakdowns accordingly......nice point made Attilah...Sorry for sounding redundant......1

I do it the way Nick Springfield does, I just make a loop, 16 to 56 bars, usually cause I don't write the usual length verses so I will have to adapt anyway. I never produced a concept for an artist who wanted me to do the breakdowns along the way.

Then again, I only work with a select few, and one of them always wants a bridge in the song.

Back