Stumped?!?

chozen

I need some advice...The task is a remix....
1)I have an original release (i.e.-original release on 12"
2)I also have a recording of the same song done by the artist on multitrack!
3)I want to take certain parts of both songs and mix them together.
4)I am unable to multitrack within cubase b/c soundcard limitations...
5)Thus far I have imported the multitrack versions into cubase using R-as vocals and L-as riddim track- in an effort to do mono to stereo conversion on both tracks...
The questions: 1)What is the most efficient way to do this conversion in Cubase?
2)How do I then remove the parts of the original track which I want to substitute with my own?
3)Keep in mind that the original track is 'finished' and therfore I have no vocals to play with etc....

would I have to mute/ cut a piece of the original track and substitute it with my own..That is would I have to remake a particular section of the some and overdub in cubase....?
The versions (i.e.-riddim track) are the same

I'm kinda stumped as the processes involved are strange to me...i know where and when I want to do it but I have no idea how to sync the riddims...Can I sync the beats per minute...Is there a program that will do this for me? Or do I have to do it by ear? What comes first, secoond, third etc..

i need the help;
thanks, Chozen

Chozen,

Let me get this straight. So you have a copy on that's already mixed to a 2 track stereo final, and one that you have on multitrack tape with all of the original tracks still isolated.

If this is the case, you could still get all of the multitrack parts into cubase. Just do them one (or 2 at a time) from your multitracker. However.... you may have a hard time syncing up the tracks, if the multitrack you have is coming from a mechanical tape machine.

Once you have all the individual tracks from the multitrack, and the 2 track stereo copy in Cubase you will have a lot more freedom than trying to isolate rhythm and vocals hard left and right...

As far as syncing the timing between the 2, this could get difficult. Depends how sophisticated of plugins and software you have. You can drag the waveform around and sync it that way if the BPM isn't that far off it will sync for a little while.. :)

Or, using processing you could adjust the tempo of one of the tracks until they sync up.

Tough one! Will take lots of messing around for sure.

Let me know how it goes..

Emeric

[This message has been edited by Emeric (edited 10-12-1999).]

Back