Stumped?!?

chozen

I guess this message is simply to investigate the process behind a remix. This is posted also in the cubase user forum but after the fact I realized it might not be properly addressed there....
I have an original tune on 12"
I also have a tune over the same'riddim' done by the same artist here on my multitrack. What I want to do is use the original recording and include certain parts of my own recording. how do I do this in a computer based environment? What are the processes involved? Do I have to sync the BPM? Is there a program that will do this for me or is it trial by ear? What are the steps involved (ie-1st, 2nd, 3rd etc.)?
Essentially what I'm asking is what is the easiest way to do a 'remix' in a computer based environment, and what are the steps involved?

Thanx,
Chozen...

The simplest method would be to lay down a digital version of what you are starting with and then a click track (or more complete rhythm track, depending on your skills). Tracks laid down after this can still use the original track for rhythm reference or by muting that track rely on the secondary reference tracks for timing. I think you can feel when it's ready to switch over to "full secondary" timing.
If I've misunderstood your intentions, and you really want to sync up two pre-recorded tracks, then excuse my ignorance. The process you're trying to describe generally cannot be accomplished. Yet. Because one needs to create a tempo map of the original piece and then apply a speed adjustment to the other piece without changing the frequency of sounds played back. This is a do-able transformation at a fixed speed change. But I've never heard of this being done to a variable speed tempo map extracted from another file.

[This message has been edited by drstawl (edited 10-12-1999).]

Back