studio wiring.....

smuffjules

So, I'm building a studio.

I'll have a control room, 3 isos and a main room that'll be around 16 by 17 with some built in angles here and there for sound.

The Drums will sit in the main room.

I figure i'll probably need 8 channels for the drums, and another 8 channels (or more???) dotted around the main room here and there for LIVE (in the same room) band recording.

i'll have probablty 4 channels in each iso booth.

Does this sound right to you guys???

Also, I figure i'll get an 8 channel snake for the drum channels and run the whole thing to the patchbay in the control room.
i'll wire the rest with Belden or whatever, and solder the xls's and jacks on, as I don't think 4ch snakes are around much if at all.

I was thinking of a live type snake with the black box for the drums, and putting the hand wired channels as wall mounted.

Please let me know your thoughts and advice....

Thanks

I'll have a control room, 3 isos and a main room that'll be around 16 by 17 with some built in angles here and there for sound.

Please let me knowyour thoughts and advice....

For sound? In what context? Angles will not improve modal response. Do you have a plan you can post. In this day and age, it is a well known fact that splaying walls do not help with modal response. If anything, it only makes calculation more difficult if not impossible. The best offence for offending modal resonance and reflection problems is libaral use of broadband absorption and the use of superchunks of in the corners for control of Low frequencies, especially in very small rooms. And yes, a 16' x 17' room is still considered small, and worse yet, almost square.
fitZ

For sound? In what context? Angles will not improve modal response. Do you have a plan you can post. In this day and age, it is a well known fact that splaying walls do not help with modal response. If anything, it only makes calculation more difficult if not impossible. The best offence for offending modal resonance and reflection problems is libaral use of broadband absorption and the use of superchunks of in the corners for control of Low frequencies, especially in very small rooms. And yes, a 16' x 17' room is still considered small, and worse yet, almost square.
fitZ

No plans I can post, but what would you do for the Signal wiring????

I've based the design on several other designs that I've seen here and there and done the best I can with what space I have really and on an extremely limited budget.

I'm almost at the point of wiring the lighting, and the signal path wires.

What's the most economical way to do that???
I think I'll go with an 8ch snake and wire the rest of the XLR to 1/4" by hand.

What's the most economical way to do that???
I think I'll go with an 8ch snake and wire the rest of the XLR to 1/4" by hand.

I would think that makes sense. Cheap... and if you ever decide to rip it out, it's in a neat little bundle. Per your earlier post, I would think 16 channels in the main room would be enough for your standard 4-piece: 7/8 Channels for drums, DI for bass, 2 Vox, 2 Guitars. Just don't forget to wire monitor and/or headphone runs the opposite direction!

Somewhere on the 'net is a writeup about building your own snakes. Pluses include modest savings and the flexibility to configure them how you want, as to number of sends/returns, length, terminals on each end. Minuses include need to purchase a considerable amount of wire to make it economical (or buying surplus, whatever THAT is vis-a-vis cable) and deciding how you will wrap the whole mess.

But if you are building walls, I would forgo snakes and run the wiring inside the walls.

No plans I can post, but what would you do for the Signal wiring????
Excuse me?:rolleyes:Wiring is the least of your problems. What are you gonna do....plan wiring first and then build around that system? You are on the wrong end of the donkey sir.

Excuse me?:rolleyes:Wiring is the least of your problems. What are you gonna do....plan wiring first and then build around that system? You are on the wrong end of the donkey sir.

I have the studio planned out, but not that I can post here.
I'll maybe try to do a little design in Publisher or something so I can show you.
I'm going to be recording a lot of pure acoustic music with maybe 4/5/6 instruments at a time. I'd like to have the main room as some folks like to record live, and some folks also like to be separated for bad performance leaking into other folks mics purposes..... you know how that is.
So, I've made the best of my space for my own purposes really.

I have a few more walls to stud in. I have mains wired around the outside walls.
I need to start thinking about running xlr to trs from the main room/isos to the control room area, and what's the most cost effective way to do it, against maybe running snakes etc.
I guess I won't ever need any more than 4 mics per iso, seeing that each iso will only really be for one person. Well, the piano iso could do two at a pinch, but wouldn't have alot of extra room... Maybe I'll run 6 to the piano iso. No harm done.
I'll try to post a little design asap

Thanks

better pic

I realize I have to put a few bass traps into those acute angles...
The smallest room there in the control area will be a toilet.
Need to have one, even though it's a little bit of a space issue......

Attachments

• studio design.jpg
    studio design.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 47
Back