Studio To Board Connections

nuss

Basic question,

As opposed to buying wall plates and a bunch of cable and having to worry about making sure I get no sound leaks, would it be easy, effective, and cheaper to use a couple of snakes?
Then all i would have to worry about is proofing a hole about 3" round.

I will be building a small studio in my basement so I won't need a ton of tie lines.

If what I just said makes sense, is it a good alternative?

For Clarification..........this snake will go from my console..thru the wall and into the main room.

Thanks again for your help!!

Nuss,

I had the exact same question, since I'm literally in the process of building a room in my garage. I was pretty sure I was gonna opt for the snake, for efficiency and simplicity, but the more I thought about it, the more I realized that it just wouln't cut it for several reasons. Mainly, there aren't too many 25' 12x4's out there, which is what I prefer. I went down to the local retailers and they didn't have anything convincing. They tried to give me a 12 channel "snake" that looked like 12 XLR cables plus several zip ties. Not what I wanted.

I'm basically going with my own junction box because I can build it whatever way I want, and it looks neat! Just plug straight into the wall. With this setup, I'm able to include several 1/4 jacks for headphones or recording guitars/bass - I want to be able to have the guitarist/bassist plug his cable into the wall, from outside the room, and plug him into his amp inside the room. It'd be hard to find a snake to do that and keep under $200-300. The supplies to build my own is costing me about $80. You can find all the supplies to build it at Mars Music.

Hope this helps.

A friend of mine came up with a great solution... he installed into the wall a Neutrik 1/4" TRS patch bay through the wall. The front panel was exposed to the studio, and the back of the panel was exposed to the immediately-in-front live room. This allowed mics and musicians to plug stuff into the patch bay and minimize the soldering, cabling, etc.

He he did it was tear a part of the wall apart, framed out a 2x4" box that's 2U in size, caulked it, then mounted the patch bay with neoprene above and below it. It works very well actually. These things are about 100 bucks, and less if purchased used. Sometimes the big-three mail order places have them on sale for 50-60 bucks.

nuss said:
Basic question,

As opposed to buying wall plates and a bunch of cable and having to worry about making sure I get no sound leaks, would it be easy, effective, and cheaper to use a couple of snakes?
Then all i would have to worry about is proofing a hole about 3" round.

I will be building a small studio in my basement so I won't need a ton of tie lines.

If what I just said makes sense, is it a good alternative?

For Clarification..........this snake will go from my console..thru the wall and into the main room.

Thanks again for your help!!

Yes. I went the snake route. Here is what I did. I got a length of Canare 16 pair starquad snake cable, a stage box with strain relief and gold XLR's & TRS (panel and cable) and just made my own.

Custom build is the best way to go. You get to choose the best cable and connectors you can afford. If your going to build a studio it's never too early to learn to solder well.

I purchased box, connectors and such from http://www.markertek.com

The cable I got from the leftovers of a large install I did. (large telephone co. size reels) Had 20-30' scraps. I have since been real glad I talked the client into better cable. A web search for Canare multipair Starquad should net a source to buy quant. less than the reels we got. (needed a pallet jack to move these)

Don Goguen
Folk Cafe Productions

Back