Studio Synth choices

sbcgroup2

First off, I don't know jack about keyboards or midi controllers. I'm a drummer turned guitar player...lol....but I can play a little on the keys.

Anyways, I need a midi controller keyboard that will enable me to control and create drum, piano, synth, horn sounds, etc thru software run on my computer. Right now I'm tooling around with using a mouse and it totally sucks.

Anyways, I'm looking at:

1. M-Audio Axiom 61
2. M-Audio Keystation Pro 88
3. CME UF8

Weighted action is cool, but I don't know if the latter two models could do a decent job playing a couple of drum grooves (don't you need non-weighted for the quicker response)?

Anyways, the Axiom 61 has pads on it too, which is cool.

What do you all recommend or can you point me in the right direction? I don't mind spending decent money to make the investment in something so I don't have to re-buy it again, etc.

I also am still deciding on which software package to use between Logic, Cubase and Pro Tools LE. Logic seems to have the best sounding samples, etc.

Any/all input is GREATLY appreaciated!!!

Thanks!!

re:

fraserhutch said:
Man this question has been BEATEN to death here lately. Just read through this forum.

I have been reading thru the forum.

1. I don't care what sounds the keyboard offers since it will all be done thru the computer.

2. Read about some incompatability problems with Cubase on some products.

3. Again, will hammer action be bad for playing drum parts since the keys won't respond fast enough?

I've read thru people's suggestions on the feel they like. Most people are leaning toward the Yamahas. The MO8 looks cool, but again, do I really need to spend $1600 when I could be getting the sounds off my software instead? I'll just be using it as a songwriting tool and additive in the studio. I won't be playing live gigs on the keyboard, etc.

Opinions....Thanks!

sbcgroup2 said:
Anyways, the Axiom 61 has pads on it too, which is cool.
They are cool pads too.

I recommend an Axiom 61 for your particular needs.

And who told you hammer action controllers produce too slow a response to trigger drum sounds? Or was that something you intuited on your own?

re:

No, the drum response thing was something I read on this forum somewhere...I think... Not that weighted keys triggered slower, just that you could play a faster drum phrase if they weren't graded.

Anyways, cool..I'll take your advice...especially at that price point. I'm also assuming that unit will work well with Logic, correct? (may be on this board somewhere...haven't looked yet).

thanks!!

sbcgroup2 said:
I'm also assuming that unit will work well with Logic, correct?
Yes.

If you're a Reason user there are ReMote templates for the Axiom series free for the downloading at the Propellerheads web site.

i want to (eventually) get the Axiom 49.

seems like a nice deal, faders, pads, and the pots.

i use LE, i love it. i have a cubase SL that i bought, but i hate it.. still have it, just sitting around..

m-audio and digi are the same company, so compatability should not be an issue if you go that route.

forgot to mention,

the LE bundle is really cool, it comes with reason adapted and sampletank LE, which are really nice soft synths. they can be very powerful if you play with it enough and learn it well.

m-audio and digi are the same company

Thats not true. They are both owned by Avid. Thats like saying Pontiac and Saab are the same company just because they are both owned by GM

before you buy anything check out the Novation X-station 61 , it is a remote midi controller , can store various templates for your VST instruments , has mic pre's ,can be used as an audio interface with your PC , has a REALLY good quality semi weighted synth action , and has a built in K- series synth just in case you want something different. It also has built in templates for reason , kotact and many other softsynths. It can be powered from a USB bus on a computer or AC adapter OR batteries , if you have rechargeables installed your USB port will charge them for you while you use it. Its great for taking with you when you go away because it is light and like i said will run off nicads .

Cubase is about as compatible as you will get , Steinberg invented the VST system and they hold the patent for it meaning most other companies such as cakewalk use a VST wrapper for VST emulation and this is where the compatabilities come into play.

When i bought my virus TI it would not work with the VST emulation in sonar , it had horrible latency issues and problems with disconnections , I switched to Cubase and it worked way better . Apparently it now works ok with sonar because Access put some time into making it compatible with the sonar wrapper.

Another thing i didnt like about sonar 4 , I got the home version and put alot of time into some projects only to find out it has NO EQ ability without an upgrade , cubase se ( same price ) has EQ ability out of the box. Goodluck mixing and mastering without this feature.

Why the hell Cakewalk would omit this feature in music production software still boggles my mind, thats like selling a car with no wheels and saying "hey you can start the engine but if you wanna drive it anywhere you need the Wheels package "

altitude909 said:
Thats not true. They are both owned by Avid. Thats like saying Pontiac and Saab are the same company just because they are both owned by GM

ok, so they are owned by the same company. :D

cortexx said:
before you buy anything check out the Novation X-station 61 , it is a remote midi controller , can store various templates for your VST instruments , has mic pre's ,can be used as an audio interface with your PC , has a REALLY good quality semi weighted synth action , and has a built in K- series synth just in case you want something different. It also has built in templates for reason , kotact and many other softsynths. It can be powered from a USB bus on a computer or AC adapter OR batteries , if you have rechargeables installed your USB port will charge them for you while you use it. Its great for taking with you when you go away because it is light and like i said will run off nicads .
It's also more than two and a half times the price of the Axiom 61.

You will get 95 percent of the functionality of the Novation for a lot less money --- the Axiom has a REALLY good quality semi weighted synth action too, and the Novation lacks drum pads.

It's a prime quality controller and if I thought it was any less I wouldn't recommend it.

It's also more than two and a half times the price of the Axiom 61.

You will get 95 percent of the functionality of the Novation for a lot less money --- the Axiom has a REALLY good quality semi weighted synth action too, and the Novation lacks drum pads.

In all fairness, the novation has a lot more features and its kinda an apple and oranges thing. The X station has an onboard synth, onboard effects processer, onboard sound card with pre-amp which is a little more more than 95% of what the axiom has.

The axiom is a nice controller for its class though and is your looking for something to control soft synths, thats the way to go.

altitude909 said:
The X station has an onboard synth, onboard effects processer, onboard sound card with pre-amp which is a little more more than 95% of what the axiom has.
Okay.

I forgot about the audio input capabilities.

I still stand by the Axiom series as a good solid choice for key feel, drum pads and general software compatability...

:o

sbcgroup2 said:
First off, I don't know jack about keyboards or midi controllers. I'm a drummer turned guitar player...lol....but I can play a little on the keys.

Anyways, I need a midi controller keyboard that will enable me to control and create drum, piano, synth, horn sounds, etc thru software run on my computer. Right now I'm tooling around with using a mouse and it totally sucks.

I've been using KAT midi drum controllers for about 12 years. As a drummer, you might want to check out their stuff at www.alternatemode.com. I had the TrapKAT for a while, but sold that and got the smaller DrumKAT instead. It does the job just fine. Tapping little pads with your fingers can do some things, but it is not the same as playing a kit with sticks and using foot pedals, and you may be better off taking advantage of your drumming chops with a real midi drum controller.

Otto

sbcgroup2 said:

When it comes to keyboards and controlling soft synths, you ought to at least be aware of the Novation ReMOTE SL line (25, 37 and 61). Yeah, they are more, like $400, $500 and $600, but they have the intelligent Automap thing where they automatically set up the controllers to control functions on your soft synths.

Otto

Back