Studio Setup - Some Advice Please

barakazen

Hello everyone,

I'm not sure in which area I should be posting this question but I'll start off here.

I'm setting up a small electronic production studio at my place, for the second time, lets just say everything I had was stolen and am starting basically from scratch, with a new goal, electronic music (downtempo, ambient, trip hop, etc).

Half of the recording I will be doing on the road, recording parts all over the countrty with a Roland Edirol R-09. I will compose all the basic structure at my place and go around having musicians pitch in.

Right now I pretty much have my monitors... And all my instruments, bass', guitars, sax, etc. I don't have a descent soundcard, don't have any MIDI controlers, no knobs to tweek what so ever. I feel the need to rewire back into my machine.

I'm also missing mics.

So here's what I've wanted to do and would like some feedback from you guys.

I'm planning on purchasing the following setup to get some music rolling:

AKG C1000s Condenser Mic - It's battery powered so I can record on the road.

Roland Edirol R-09 - I looked at the Zoom PS-04 but it has no USB interface and it's considerably bulkier than the Edirol.

M-Audio Ozonic - This has it all in one, I won't have to buy a soundcard, I can plug my instruments into it and record directly thru it, I have full control of the software i'll be usind (live + cubase + reason), and it's all done thru firewire. Please let me know what you guys think about this. I have alternatively (less $$$) thought about M-Audio's Axiom, but lacks the features the Ozonic has.

A set of headphones, please recommend under $50.

That's about it, if I where not to get the Ozonic I would have to think about getting an external sound card, like M-Audio's Audiophile or such.

I am not sure if I'm getting stuff that is not necessary. I live in Costa Rica and it's pretty much a one-shot to get things here, I can't really go around buying stuff all the time, it would preferablty have to be one shipment.

All comments and recommendations are welcome!

Thanks!

Andrés

Back