Studio set up and equiptment

btref

I will be setting up a recording area in my new place when i move in. I have never done this before, however i have a budget of from 3-4 thousand.
I am a hip-hop artist, and i would like my equipment to reflect that (focus on vocals)

I have a macbook pro with the standard soundcard and an mpd 26
i will be getting a version of logic soon.

Currently i have been using a the yeti USB microphone, which i thought was amazing at the start, but now i have realized that the quality is no where near what i need.
I want to invest in the Rode K2 microphone, good choice?
I was also thinking about replacing the stock tube with the Amperex Bugle Boy 6DJ8/ECC88, i know this will void the warranty, but i have heard the sound is much more full

I was also thinking of buying a FMR RNC-1773 "really nice" compressor, however i was wondering if there are better ones for under $1000, also should i go for a compressor like this or a channel strip? why?

finally, i was going to get some basstraps.

What do you think of these? is there anything else I should invest in?

first thing: read this, acoustic basics.

Microphone choice is really up to you, the K2 is a nice microphone, but the only way to know if it will fit your voice and you like is to try it out yourself. What works for me, may not work for you, and vice versa.

You also are going to need some sort of interface or AD converter to get the signal to the computer and into logic if you go away from the USB mics. Since your focusing on vocals and will likely only need to use 1 mic at a time, there are plenty of cheap functional quality interfaces to choose from.

In your position I like idea of a channel strip, because you'll be getting a much higher quality pre amp than you'll have on your interface and still have a good outboard compressor if you find you need it. The UA LA-610 is what I would suggest.

The UA LA-610 is what I would suggest.

Or maybe even the UA 6176 for a channel strip if you want more punchy up front vocals. UA LA-610 is wonderful but maybe a little too mellow, depending on the vocal style you are after

Of course it's all a personal taste thing and both of these pieces are really, really good and I now regret selling my LA 610 last year and it is on my rebuy list for later this year

Or maybe even the UA 6176 for a channel strip if you want more punchy up front vocals. UA LA-610 is wonderful but maybe a little too mellow, depending on the vocal style you are after

Of course it's all a personal taste thing and both of these pieces are really, really good and I now regret selling my LA 610 last year and it is on my rebuy list for later this year

Also a good choice^^^ Universal Audio makes some great products! Don't be afraid to buy used either OP, can easily save a couple hundred bucks sometimes more if you can find a great deal.

Hey guys, thanks for the help, these are both a bit expensive, but i will definitely look more into it.
I recently was told that i may like the Neumann TLM 103 more then the Rode K2, is there a substantial difference?

Hey guys, thanks for the help, these are both a bit expensive, but i will definitely look more into it.
I recently was told that i may like the Neumann TLM 103 more then the Rode K2, is there a substantial difference?

Honestly man, you need to get to a music store that has mics and try some different ones out. Every mic is going to be different.

Back