Studio Projects VTB1

mrmoe

.....thinking of a Studio Projects VTB1 to pre a shure sm7.....I have an Art mpa gold sitting idle, but I like the looks and ease of use of the Studio Projects pre....until now, I've just been using the pre amps built into a Tascam 2400 mk ll, but they are just barely adequate for dynamic mics.....any thoughts on this pre?

The VTB1 is okay. It's not going to be like using a really high end pre. Still, it has some nice features for an inexpensive box. Input & output gain, variable impedance, phase reverse, DI and an insert. 72 dB total gain. It's pretty quiet.

I'm not too familiar with the Art. What don't you like about that one?

The Art MPA Gold is supposed to be better (with after market tubes). I got the DMP3 over the VTB-1, but I've never had a VTB-1 to know if it's better. General consensus seems to suggest that it colors the sound too much. The samples of the Art with Tube upgrade compared favorably over preamps 3x's it's price (including replacement tubes). It really depends on what you're going after? That transparent sound or something different?

With a dynamic mic (Sm7), you want a fair amount of clean gain, either will likely do well. Try them all out and let your ears decide. Or choose the one that's least needy in post. Or live or however you intend to use it most often.

Shadow 7 said:
The Art MPA Gold is supposed to be better (with after market tubes). I got the DMP3 over the VTB-1, but I've never had a VTB-1 to know if it's better. General consensus seems to suggest that it colors the sound too much. The samples of the Art with Tube upgrade compared favorably over preamps 3x's it's price (including replacement tubes). It really depends on what you're going after? That transparent sound or something different?

The VTB1 is an op amp based preamp with a tOOb circuit and a blend control that allows you to dial in how much "tOOb" sound you want. If you dial the tube blend control all the way down to where it says "SS", it takes the tube out of the circuit completely, leaving you with a fairly clean preamp. If you crank it all the way up, yeah, it probably colours the sound too much. I don't use it.

Seriously though, the Art, the Studio Projects and the DMP3 are all in the same league. Splitting hairs over one or the other won't get you too far. An SM7 needs lots of clean gain and the Studio Projects can deliver it. The Art is also supposed to be able to deliver it. I've had my VTB1 cranked to the hilt and it's quiet. I don't know about the Art.

If you want to get into a different league, start looking at things like Sebatron, Grace, Sytek, A Designs, Daking, Great River, API, Neve, etc...

You get what you pay for. Once you get up to around 500 bucks per channel or more, you should hopefully have something that gives you more of a 3 dimensional soundscape and starts to really open up the sound of your dynamics and ribbons. The AEA TRP might be an exception as well as Sytek.

The VTB1 is okay. It's not going to be like using a really high end pre. Still, it has some nice features for an inexpensive box. Input & output gain, variable impedance, phase reverse, DI and an insert. 72 dB total gain. It's pretty quiet.

I'm not too familiar with the Art. What don't you like about that one?

I bought an Art a few years ago and never could get it to work quietly......sent it back and they gave me a new one, but I never did use it.....so, I have a 2 year old (out of warranty) Art Mpa Gold that's never been plugged in....the original one was not quiet, but had great sound when used with a Beyer M-500 ribbon mic.....the Studio Projects pre-amp is very inexpensive, so I've ordered one....guess I'll have a chance to judge the difference between the two for myself.....by the way, why the suggestion of using aftermarket tubes in the Art?.....

If you still have that M500, the VTB-1 ought to complement it well.
When Harvey Gerst reviewed the VTB-1, it went great with a RCA 77 ribbon.

The VTB-1 is a "sleeper" mic pre-underated IMHO.

It's a bit on the dark side, so it goes well with otherwise bright LDC's, ribbons, and those (like me) who want to mellow out a mic with a strong presence peak (SM58/M500/sm7).

Chris

Back